Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

The tree may have won, some alternative ideas.

First, I don't know what kind of oak besides that it's big, deciduous, has no lobes on its' leaves, acorns are almost perfectly round and don't think I've seen one with its' hat on. Like walking on marbles and yes, so many fall that it's somewhat dangerous to walk around for a few weeks. Too small to rake or be crunched by mower. I love this tree, it's doing what it does which is primarily, make precious shade on the house.

I've gardened under many-a-tree before, including silver maple, cottonwood, hibiscus syriacus, ash, and have never given an area I worked hard to reclaim back to grass. Never considered it, pulling sprouts is just part of the game. But the oak tree that grandly commands the yard and extends over the one bed I have in the sun (just southwest of this tree,) drops so many acorns that all sprout... but not all at once. I can go out there and pull 100 every day and there will be 100 more tomorrow. Even if I'm doing this in the sweltering sun, mosquitoes will eat me at the rate of 2-4 bites per minute. This is a small spot along a fence, triangle shape, so a PITA to maintain the edges, as well as these sprouts. I never mind maintaining an edge, but combined with the sprouts, this bed is far too demanding for the rewards, at least the way I have it.

Love looking at it out the window, it's the view from the kitchen sink, but any closer, and it's just "look at today's sprouts" all under and around the plants. Can't enjoy them at all, just dreading the pulling of the sprouts. All of this work and miserable bites to keep clear a patch only big enough for a few shrubs. I can't let them go for months until the mosquitoes go away, won't be able to pull them then. This has been more work than the whole rest of the yard combined, this little bed.

But I've had enough.

I could move all of the smaller plants leaving only shrubs. If I pull just the spouts close to trunks/stems, the more open spots could be beheaded into submission. Mowing controls the sprouts in the lawn, but I wonder how infrequently one can weed-wack oak sprouts to cause their demise. Any thoughts on that?

Another option would be to only have stuff that gets mowed more often. Can't think of anything that would be 'wow' out the window that fits that description. Thoughts?

Another option would be to put 2 or 3 sheets over the spot while the acorns are raining. What would shrubs think of being under a white sheet for about 3 weeks while still leafed out? They're nothing special, but do keep the view stocked with butterflies and hummingbirds - Lantana, Buddleia, KO rose, Passiflora, Mirabilis jalapa, Dahlia, and some Hydrangea, Persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus,) Talinum paniculatum toward the more shady end. How much light does a white sheet block? They say a white T-shirt isn't enough to prevent sunburn if at the beach all day, maybe it wouldn't bother them much at all. Nothing there would mind being made shorter for this, and all of these are easily replaceable by propagating other plants (more of something that didn't mind) around the yard, should an *occasional* plant find this too insulting. Thoughts?

Does anybody pick up the acorns? That seems easier than pulling sprouts, the weather's certainly more amenable to outdoor labor. Occurred to me this summer, but I can't remember if the leaves fall at the same time. If so, probably not so easy. But I think the acorns fell weeks in advance of the leaves. Thoughts?

Please don't suggest any chemical approaches, I'm aware, not interested.

Thanks for reading! (Ignore the Canna to the right, it was just there temporarily until a friend had a spot for it.)

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

in that tiny yard.... think shop vac ..

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent, I love comic relief. Unless you seriously think it's possible to vacuum acorns but not leaves/mulch? I have just doubts...

I was seriously soliciting opinions. It is seriously small, about 9 feet at the wide part, to the left, tapering to a point. I seriously pull 100 sprouting acorns from this little spot at least 4-5 days a week for like 6 months, over an hour a week. That's unlike anything else out there that I've dealt with in decades of outdoor gardening, there's got to be an easier way, there usually is. There are various other beds in other areas with the same mulch regime but no problems like this one.

Even this bed between the hanging pot thing and the not-mowed-in-years back yard on the other side of the fence, full of 3rd year mature weeds. No big problems with sprouts, even though the wind usually blows from there to here, a few each time I go over there, takes 1-3 minutes to pull those, about once a week, a very mosquito-y spot.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would mock up a sucker upper.. just bigger than an acorn ...

grab a 12 pack.. a lawn chair..

and suck those nuts up ...

seriously...

you asked for a brain storm.. and dismiss it.. w/o even trying ...

ken

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

Options:
    1.) Shop Vac Might actually work. The fact it would suck up leaves would be a feature, not a bug. Or you could soak the leaves with a hose so they stick together. Sucking up mulch would be a problem.
    2.) You could put down a hard surface that would make it easier to sweep up the acorns. Asphalt would probably be a bad idea. There is a kind of bluestone gravel paving where the gravel sticks to a layer of oil and forms a hard surface that resembles concrete. Not really good for the oak, but not as bad as asphalt.
    3.) You could plant something that grows so dense and vigorously it smothers the oak seedlings. Might also not be good for the oak. A sufficiently tall shrub would be too tall to let the saplings reach the sun before they used up their stored energy. Virginia Rose?
    4.) You could plant grass and just mow it.
    5.) You could plant all Spring ephemeral and perennial herbs that die back in the winter, so they wouldn't care as much if they were weed-wacked or covered with a tarp in the Fall.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 18:37

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Just curious, do pre emergent chemicals work on acorns?

You could get the thinnest sun screen canvas they make and try it. Folks in the conifer forums use the stuff to help their yellow conifers during the heat of summer.

Not sure of the environmental impact. I guess if you find organic cotton cloth instead of pesticide aided cloth it is better than pre emergent for the planet. Either cloth may be a gain for your yard.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

toronado,
    Pre-emergents work by forming a layer right at the soil surface. When root hairs/tips try to grow into that surface the active chemical compound stops cell division so that the root does not properly penetrate the soil and the seedling eventually dies. So if the acorns are below the soil line, preemergents won't help. That's why you can put them on an existing bed to help control weeds.

Arktrees

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

What about that netting the Greeks use under their olive trees when it`s harvest time - acorns fall on the netting - pull it up, dispose of acorns, reset the net!!!!

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

I second olive tree netting idea.

Ark, thanks for the info on the preemergents.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, I didn't know you were serious. These are the same acorns I was trying to find an 'art' project for last fall. Do you remember that? There was some hilarious stuff said in that little discussion.

Are you saying to fashion something to make the suction hose opening smaller on the shop vac? I think that's not a terrible idea, actually, pinpoint the suction for better acorn accuracy. If we had a shop vac, it would be under consideration.

A 12-pack... DH would LOVE to drink beer while watching me do that. Unfortunately, I can't drink anything carbonated. I never turn down a nice glass of wine though. Sucking acorns does sound more fun with alcohol in general.

The netting idea sounds very promising. I didn't know about that stuff. Similar to the sheet idea but I wouldn't be worried about blocking the light. Probably not as heavy either, for the plants to hold up. Something to prevent the acorns from landing in that spot would be preferred.

Thanks for the inputs! I appreciate them all, every perspective is very helpful.