Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do Canna Lilies spread?

Posted by tlbean2004 Arkansas (tlbean2004@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 12:28

I have canna lillies that grow on the side of my house.
There was a 10 ft oak tree next to them that i cut down about 6 weeks ago. Now that the tree is gone, canna lillies are popping up all over the space.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do Canna Lilies spread?

They multiply.

o

i see no relation to the oak removal ...

and i wonder if you dont have lily of the valley ... as canna do NOT spread over much distance... in a given season ... let alone 6 weeks ...

are you sure on the ID???

ken

o

I'd post this in the bulb forum...

As far as your question...the rhizomes branch off in all directions. You can cut the rhizomes to be seperate plants.

o

They also self seed if you let them flowers go to seed. But most commonly they spread by underground rhizomes.

It could be they are getting more sun, more moisture and less root competition after your having removed the oak.

Is this a problem or just an observation?

o

canna are 4 to 6 feet tall ...

i dont understand how they start popping up ... weeks after a tree is cut down ...

ken

o

dave_in_nova

It is just an observation.

Only 2 of the canna have flowers. The rest are just the tall pretty leaves.

o

Cannas are annuals here in zone 6, but cutting the tree down lets in FULL SUN. With the tree there it was either FULL SHADE or Partial shade. Cannas love FULL SUN. Also the already mentioned more available moisture once the tree is gone.

o

how much shade does a 10 foot tree give???

i am having fun speculating.. would love to see a pic... dont think .. in any way ... that i have any intent ... other than curiosity ... or wanting to solve the mystery ...

forgive me.. if you read anything contrary

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here