Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need recommendations for hearty, fast-growing trees..

Posted by mnotto PA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 08 at 12:43

Hi -- We live in central PA and have a small backyard with another house situated closely behind ours. We already have a six-foot privacy fence, but it just isn't doing the trick.

About four years ago, we planted five birch trees along the fenceline to help aid in our quest for more privacy. They have grown a lot, and we really hate to get rid of them, but they have never done well. Every year we have had issues with them. One is a river birch and the other four are Jacquemonti biches. We have had a tree doctor out to visit, have followed all of his suggestions (watering, fertilizing, systemic treatment, etc.), and still these trees suffer during the summer and lose their leaves early. We are done with them! We want to replant with something that is not so touchy.

Does anyone have recommendations for a fast-growing, hearty tree that will be well situaed to our climate? It should be something that can handle full sun. We are looking for something that does not get to be monstrous... no more than 30 feet in height.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need recommendations for hearty, fast-growing trees..

"hearty"??? Trees don't have hearts!

Maybe try one of the smaller oaks, such as Blackjack Oak Quercus marilandica. Or an American Hornbeam Carpinus caroliniana. Both PA natives, so well suited to the climate.

Resin

o

Carpinus caroliniana, while one of my favorite trees, is an extremely broad tree, so it may be too broad for your needs. Why not look at Magnolia virginiana (flowers and fragrance too), redbud, Halesia (flowers, no fragrance).

o

If you want evergreens, then there are a number, ranging from broadleaf to conifers. Arborvitae (Thuja) has several cultivars that might work, as would an Eastern red cedar (Juniperus) cultivar. Hollies, if the prickly leaves won't be a problem, are another possibility. Some of the viburnums may be semi-evergreen for you. Wax Myrtle might be another one to consider, although it does tend to sucker into thickets.

I would strongly suggest that you research FULLY the mature heights and widths of anything you are considering, as the hang-tags that nurseries/growers put on their stock, for whatever reason they have, lists the heights and widths at 10 years! Many species have smaller or narrower cultivars (while some don't) so you MAY be able to find one that you love but which in the original species is just too big....

o

My first thought was a Shademaster Honeylocust, but it will get a bit bigger than 30 feet (nice dappled shade, though). Maybe an Amur Maple (invasive?), Japanese Maple or a serviceberry.

o

Redbud is one of the smaller trees, as are some of the red maples. And many of the crab apple trees fit your criteria also. Many dont fruit.

I hope you vary your selections. Always makes for a healthier venue.

Like ncsteele, I love my honeylocust. ( I have skyline or something like that) It has grown quite tall, but remains a dainty and graceful specimin. Best of all, no leaves to rake, as they are small, and sort of melt into the grass.
Pondy

o

How about a maple. Red Maples grow fairly quickly (3 feet per year) and reach about 30 to 40 feet depending on the type you get. They have nice red flowers in spring and have very nice red leaves in fall. They might be a little wider than you might like though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here