Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer and Arborvitae

Posted by ikea_gw 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 7, 10 at 12:48

I am thinking about planting some arborvitae to provide year round privacy around the house. Our neighborhood has a moderate sized deer population. If I don't spray my daylily, hosta or roses they will be eaten by deer. Bobbex once a month seems to do a very good job at deterring them. Do you think arborvitae will do okay here? The varieties I am considering include Degroot's Spire, Nigra, and Emerald Green. Is any of these better or worse than the others? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer and Arborvitae

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 7, 10 at 13:42

Those are all Thuja occidentalis cultivars ("Emerald (Green") is a translation of 'Smaragd' and not the correct name of the cultivar, which is 'Smaragd'). Deer appear to love this species as winter browse, or it is at least something than can use (a seemingly curious thing about deer is that although native to cold climates they routinely run out of food during the winter, are subject to starvation some years).

o

Not a preferred browse, but palatable when hungry. You always can tell where deer are by looking at the arborvitae, IME.

Dan

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 0:38

"Than" was supposed to be "they", it would sure be nice if a self-editing feature was added to this site.

o

Deer have winter browsed most arborvitae in this town to the lollypop stage... despite the availability of their natural food or not. I just had a 20 footer taken out since it was chewed up to about the 8' mark and was beyond the point where it would ever look like anything good again.

Maybe the deer in your area have developed a different palate - but if I were putting in any new arborvitae, I'd at least burlap them in the fall - and be prepared to do that for years. Looks horrible, but your investment is protected.

o

I second that motion.

Dan

o

Yum Yum. Feed the deer! Anyone with deer around is frankly crazy to plant arborvitae - THEY WILL BE EATEN, period. They are ugly trees anyway and do not take snow and ice or drought well. A better choice is Canadian Hemlock - just be prepared to spray with horticultural oil a couple of times a year.

o

Canadian hemlocks get 100' feet though, arborvitaes don't.

o

Depending on where the OP is in zone 7, a hemlock may cook or be eaten by wooly adelgids. And deer have been known to munch them as well.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here