Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting with post hole digger/auger

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 12:50

I see people doing this to plant large numbers of trees quickly.

It sure beats manual digging if you have a few dozen trees to plant, but you can't really make the "bowl shaped" hole this way, it's more of a straight sided hole and potentially could go too deep if you can't wield the auger correctly and back off at the right time.

There could also be "glazing" on the hole sides depending on soil type.

Has anyone done this and could you give pointers on making it work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting with post hole digger/auger

what type of soil???

how big a pot are we talking about???

ken

o

Still mostly an academic discussion, it will depend on many things coming together. I'm thinking of a future building lot we are trying to acquire. Mostly just my morbid curiosity at the moment.

Let's say a silt loam (with some clay but not "real" clay) and rootballs about 12" to 24" wide as a likely scenario.

o

Seems to me it would be great for trees with taproots, like oaks. I like the idea...but I'm kind of lazy.

I think it would probably be best to still dig a shallow whole the conventional way...splay some smaller roots to the sides to keep the plant from sliding too deep down and plunge the taproots straight down the post hole.

o

I have done hundreds of trees with auger holes. Glazing the sides is usually only an issue in heavy clay. But if you feel the hole is too smooth, you can poke it with a pitchfork.

Bowl shape holes are going out of vogue, anyways.

The most important facet is to bee sure the hole is not too deep and that the trees don't sink. Check hole depth first, if too deep you will need to back fill and compact the bottom of the hole.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here