Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Funny fuzz on live oak acorns

Posted by widdringtonia 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 12:54

I noticed that some of the acorns on my live oak have this fuzzy, spiky growth. I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC and we've had a pretty wet spring/summer with some flooding. (I posted a photo of the flooding across our lawn a couple of months ago. This tree is probably about 30 metres from the edge of that flooding.) We have sandy, well drained soil.

photo DSC09887.jpg

photo DSC09888.jpg

There also seems to be some spotty damage to the leaves around these little acorns.

Is this something to be worried about?

(My guess is that it's galls, which I know are mostly harmless, but I haven't had any luck finding information in a Google search, so I'm here with photos and questions.)

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Funny fuzz on live oak acorns

Maybe this is it? Probably not to worry...

hortster

Here is a link that might be useful: Andircus quercusfoliatus

o

In other words, leafy gall wasp. Not significant to the tree's health.

o

Thank you! I'm not so sure the tree rats will be quite as happy to have shared their acorns, but good to be reassured that the tree is okay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here