Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
head back a maple "whip" or let it go?

Posted by joeschmoe 6 Central OH (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 13:03

I just bough a couple sugar maple trees from a local guy who grows them from seed in his backyard.

They look healthy, nice, big, deep green leaves, both are nearly 6' tall, however, the trunks are thin - maybe 1/2" at the base, and one has only one branch that is 2" long (and it looks one one that broke or was pruned off opposite that one), the other has maybe 3 or 4 short 2 or 3" branches, and nothing else.

Most trees you'd see in a garden center aren't much taller but more heavily branched due to being headed back a couple times. However some say that's not the best thing to do anyway.

Should I cut back these maples or just let them "do their thing"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: head back a maple "whip" or let it go?

Just let them do their thing, I think your trees are better than those from the nursery. They will probably branch out next season, especially if you plant them in a sunny position.

o
RE: head back a maple "whip" or let it go?

I'd just let them grow. You'll get a better form than a headed back tree anyway. As they grow, just watch for the usual - crossing branches, included bark, etc.

By the way, if you haven't planted them yet (I assume they're in pots) I'd just keep them in bright shade and watered properly, then wait until about Oct 1. to put them in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here