Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anamandy

Need Help selecting Tree

lovetogarden
10 years ago

Hi All, I ordered a Newport Flowering Plum from my local nursery in May and now they are telling me that they can't get it. I see it on mail order sites but am wary of buying online or catalogue since I've never had much luck going that route before. So I came here looking for suggestions. Here is what I am looking for from a tree.

1- Tree that doesn't get much larger than 25' and 20' wide - perferably pyramidal in shape
2 - Small leaves - got rid of a Norway Maple that made a never-ending mess each fall.
3 - Flowering
4 - Small fruit or nuts to feed the wildlife

The closest I could see is a flowering pear but that doesn't put out fruit and is too common besides. I see them growing all around here. The next tree that might fit the bill is Crabapple but since there are cedars growing nearby (cedar apple rust) that won't work either. Anyone with any other suggestions please let me know. All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• lovetogarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Forgot to add, must be hardy. Thanks

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

my flowering plum NEVER produced plums...so be done with that idea.. if such was important..

nobody in their right mind will recommend nor plant a pear ... forget that ...

crabapple feeds... but has some disease problems.. IF!!! ... you do not pick resistant ones ....

i will leave it to others for suggestions ...

but the reason i write.. is that i got about 250 of my 500 conifers.. MAIL ORDER ... mostly because.. thru trial and error.. i found good sellers... and there is no reason. your GW friends.. cant lead you to reputable mail order firms ...

so find something really cool.. dont just get something green... to fill a space ...

find something that will feed your bird friends.. and then search the universe.. to find a variegated version...

that watchdog site should also help you with sellers reps...

finally.... in z5.. fall or spring planting.. we dont mail order.. nor plant in august.. in my z5 world anyway ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: i really like these people personally ... saybrook OH ... browse thru.. and lets talk about things that attract your attention .....

• lovetogarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mulchmama, I agree the tree is beautiful but it's way too big and has too many problems with pests and disease. I understand that botanists are working on that problem but it might be some time to come.

Thanks for your info Ken. While a number of ornamental plums dont bear fruit, and none bear actual plums, a number of varieties do bear little reddish purple berries which the birds and squirels love. My grandmother used to have one on her property years ago. Unfortunately, that house was sold and I haven't been back to that area to see if it was still there. But my grandfather planted it for her 20 years before her death and it was still going strong when she did.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Royal Frost Birch, which has purple foliage and does bear little berries too, but from what I understand about all birches is that they are pretty weak trees. I'll have to do further research on that.

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

My parents live in an area with a lot of cedars, and a crab apple tree seem to be thriving. You just have to pick a hardy strain that is closer to the wild versions.

It's not pyramidal and is smaller then you are thinking, but Beach Plums are small trees with fruit and small leaves and are very hardy.

Some variety of cherry?

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

Look into one of our lovely native trees, Amelancrier. Known as serviceberry, juneberry or shadblow to local people. Autumn Brilliance is a recent cultivar that would answer all your wants, plus great fall color. Often sold in clump form of multitrunked, but can be found as a single trunk. I love the 6 multitrunked Amelanchier Laevis I planted in my yard, and the birds eat up the small blue berries faster than I can even think about serviceberry pie eacn June.. If you can get them before the birds, a pretty good pie can be made with those tasty berries.

• lovetogarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edlincoln, thank you. The nursery where I'll be buying the tree told me the same thing. They recommended the variety 'Royal Raindrops.' It has beautiful, serated purplish red leaves and pink flowers. It bears fruit upon reaching maturity. Best of all it has excellent disease resistance to all diseases. I have since picked out a specimen and they will be planting it in early fall.

Thank you gazania for your suggestion too. I absolutely love the Amelancrier planted at my bank and often wished I had room for a large shrub. The problem with the tree form is that it will never reach 20/25 feet whereas the Crab will. And this house is so crying out for a nice sized tree. Still, the Amelancier is spectacular. Just wish I had the space.