Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container or Ground Grown tree

Posted by Centre82 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 13:11

Hello,

I am going to be planing a tree in my yard. I was wondering if it is better to select a tree that has been grown in a container or one that was grown in the ground and has been dug up. I am looking at about a 2" caliper tree.

Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container or Ground Grown tree

my best advice is to not get one that big .... one inch max ..

in 5 years.. with less transplant shock.. the smaller will outgrow the larger ... in my experience ...

and i would probably lean towards ball and burlap.. IN THE PROPER PLANTING SEASON ... which for you is 'none' .. since you dont tell us where you are ...

though a tree could be chosen now and tagged for later sale .. it is best to transplant when it is leaf-less ... or dormant ...

ken

o

Ken,

I live in Northern Kentucky.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 14:21

For a smaller tree like 1-1.5" caliper I'd prefer a container IF if was properly repotted as it grew. Otherwise you have a tangled mess that just drives me nuts.

If the plant looks pot bound, opt for b&b, just identify the root flare prior to purchase (if you can). Otherwise its a necessitiy to identify the flare prior to planting.

o

I think 2" caliper is fine. If you can watch it being dug (as opposed to consuming a product that was sitting around for 4 months), I'd go B&B, keeping in mind they are planted differently than containers.

Brandon has a link to proper planting techniques seemingly every other thread on this board. Use that, or insist that the nursery "professionals" use it & don't sign for it until it is planted properly.

Dan

o

"...seemingly every other thread on this board..."

LOL, I'm trying to post it at least half as much as DD#1 gets mentioned. It's like a contest. (-;

Here it is again....

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here