Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palm Trees

Posted by Mrainey1234 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 13:29

First I was so anxious to plant my 2foot red maple tree. Planted It in hot weather, needless to say, beautiful leaves fell off, just have a stem now. Nursery said tree not dead mulch and. Leave alone, he guarantees a new one if this one doesn't come back. Listen to others.

Palm tree has a diease can you identify it. What can I use.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palm Trees

there is a tropical plant forum ... if not a palm forum... you might find other experts to opine on this plant ..

but that wont stop me.. lol ... when is the last time you cut off the old old branches .... its supposed to be done yearly or so ...

if you havent ... and this is one of the bottom most .. oldest fronds.. if that is the right word ... then it really doesnt matter what you are seeing.. or thinking about treating for such ... ask yourself.. why is your first thought.. WHAT TO USE????

because MAYBE what you are seeing is old age ...

i cant really tell.. from your pic ... and i am presuming.. that it was not recently planted ... you gave us more facts on the maple.. than you did on this plant ...

i wish you luck ...

ken

o
RE: Palm Trees

That does not look like normal aging of a palm leaf to me. I believe your palm is a Butia (probably capitata), otherwise known as a Pindo or Jello Palm. It might be a fungal disease of some sort. In general these kinds of issues are more or a problem with excessive humidity. Have you had excessively humid or wet weather? Have you been watering frequently? To reduce the chances of a palm getting this, try avoid wetting the leaves if watering. The palm does not appear to be crowded by other plants (ventilation is useful). Also, I would remove the most affected leaves as this might aid the spread. Good news is that a palm can completely grow out of this. The leaves that are already affected will not revert to normal, but new growth will be fine once conditions improve.(I once had a Canary Island palm delivered to me from Miami that came covered in black spots, figured it was related to South Fl.'s Summer humidly, as Phoenix prefer a drier climate....I kept the plant and soon the new leaves grew in fine.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible diagnosis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here