Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stump removal chemical?

Posted by daylily_dreamer (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 13:54

I'm not sure that this is where I should be posting, but here goes. My mother is interested in buying from Burgess Seed Company a stump removal kit. It says that you place it on the stump and it "chemically burns" the stump away down to the root tips. Does anyone have an opinion on this stuff??? Thanks and my 86 year old mother thanks you!
Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stump removal chemical?

hi

it would sure help if they gave any clue what it was ... link below ...

down the posts a few.. is a post titled: removing dead trunks

wherein i stated the following:

if you dont want to spend the money on grinding ....

i was once told... that for wood to rot it needs 2 things.. water.. and nitrogen ...

cut them flush to the ground ....

drill some holes in it ...

put some 49-0-0 in the holes..

and keep them damp .. in a year or two.. they will start rotting significantly ... if not sooner.. depending on your soil .... in my dry sand.. i can have stumps for a decade or longer.. but i cant get water on them very often ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

My opinion is that it distributes a lot of nasty chemicals into the soil and I don't consume such products because of this fact.

Dan

o

quick question about stumps. I've never worked on one. Let's assume I have one that has 2ft in diameter. Can we use axe and shovel? Or are stumps really hard? I know it's a lot of work but it will work right?

o

Used this chemical in wet ground for 4 years. Showed no appreciable decomposition. Got fed up with it so I paid $60 to a guy to come grind out those 3-1 foot diameter stumps and other 3-8" stumps. Grinding was definitely the way to go for me. Wish I didn't wait 4 years.

o

My neighbor drills holes or chops gashes in the top of the trunk & pours a 5 or 10 lb bag of sugar over the stump & waters it in & keeps it dampish.

Microbes eat the sugar & then reproduce & eat the stump.

Sugar is easy to find, cheap, & non-poisonous.

o

Thanks so much! Just called her with all your comments. She said she never figured the time that the chemical burn might take. I have a feeling she will be asking my husband to be bringing over his drill real soon!

o

• Posted by denninmi 6A SE Mhttp://www.wh (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 9:40

All that stuff is is overpriced high nitrogen fertilizer. The sugar suggestion is pretty good. You can add a bit of your own fertilizer to the mix, too, to speed it up.

The most important thing would probably be keeping it moist all the time. Maybe cover it up with some mulch and water it a lot, and it will break down faster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here