Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Redbud tree problems?

Posted by bunky z6 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 14:07

Could someone please check out the pictures in the tree gallery and tell me what could possibly be wrong with my Redbud?
I would appreciate any advice. Thanks. Joannie

This post was edited by bunky on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 7:52

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Redbud tree problems?

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 14:11

Can you post the photo here? I went to the Gallery and didn't know where to begin to look.

-Babka

o

Here's another picture.

This post was edited by bunky on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 7:55

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 0:46

Paleese, just post a photo here?

-Babka

o

Looks like damage to the specific branch ...

o

We have been cutting the branches as they're dying. Spring killed many branches, but it looked pretty good up until about a month ago. I've cut two branches off since then.

o

these pics are useless..

you have showed us nothing that is dying

in august.. new redbud leaves are red .. its normal .. and i hope those arent the ones you are cutting off

some of mine took severe winter damage.. and that really surprised me .. it had nothing to do with spring ...

ken

o

The branches snap off, leaves crumbling to the touch, These are DEAD! The rest of the tree looks good right now, but a few branches are starting to have the dead leaves on them.

o

Hopefully this isn't the case but is it verticillium wilt? When you cut off a dead branch is there a dark ring inside it? Google will show you many pictures of redbuds with this disease for you to compare.

o

Yep, with the info we have so far, verticillium wilt would be high on my list.

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 10:12

Looks like V wilt. Not usually fatal, but it may struggle with it off and on the rest of its life. Nothing you can do 'cept cut off the affected branches.

o

I went out this a.m. and cut into the "dead" branch. This is what I found. Is this Verticillium wilt? About 5 years ago the same thing happened to our young Catalpa tree. Top branches started and the rest of the tree was alive. Branch by branch it died over the summer. Never did know why.

o

You should check the dead limbs for cankers. Cankers cause branch die-back as described above.

o

Your picture doesn't rule out verticillium to my untrained eye but I'll let someone else make the call. Was the catalpa in the same location? They are also susceptible to verticillium so if so, being a soilborne disease it would make sense. Clean all your tools off with a bleach solution to prevent spreading disease (this is good general practice anyways).

o

The catalpa was about 75 ft from the redbud.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here