Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbzdude

Favorite Tree/Plant Books?

greenthumbzdude
10 years ago

What is your favorite tree/plant book and why? I am considering to buy Plants of Pennsylvania by Rhoads and Fowler.....just wondering if there is something better out there for ID purposes and great illustrations/photos.

Comments (10)

• sam_md
    10 years ago

If you're serious about learning plant ID make newly released Flora of Virginia by Weakley, Ludwig & Townsend your next purchase.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flora of Virginia

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Well, I routinely rely on "Key to Common Woody Landscape Plants of the Midwest", which is a spiral-bound dichotimous key. You have to know all the terms that are used to describe the features and characteristics of the plant, but you probably need to know those in order to understand many books.

Apart from that one...anything by Michael Dirr. His "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" was one of my college textbooks, and I think it is actually available as a smartphone app now (for $60) -- and I sat and read Dirr's "Viburnums" cover to cover one weekend. In the following two years, I planed two dozen Viburnums here.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

I have a used/obsolete copy of the big Dirr Woody Plants book. It seemed more economical.

• greenthumbzdude
    Original Author
    10 years ago

whats a cheap source for Flora of Virginia? I only need a used one....I looked on amazon.com but they appear to have only new books for like $80

This post was edited by greenthumbzdude on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 16:01

• viburnumvalley
    10 years ago

No one book is EVER going to be the answer - any more than "I only want one plant" satisfies the craven gardener.

Get the one that suits you best now, and keep the prioritization list for those that you will eventually acquire. Diminish cost consequences by always listing the "next must-have" on birthday, Christmas, anniversary, or get-well gift lists.

Soon, the library will push you out of the man-cave or wine cellar. Real estate is about at the bottom of the market; maybe it's time to scrutinize that FSBO next door...

• hamburglar1
    10 years ago

The best tree/plant books are the ones that are the most opinionated. If the author thinks a plant is not useful/attractive or if something is over-planted, it should be conveyed. The books that read like neutral encyclopedias are the worst. I like the Dirr books like everyone else. One good general book is "The Homeowner's Complete Tree & Shrub Handbook" by O'Sullivan. I think she has some good general advice and opinions about plants.

• sam_md
    10 years ago

From Flora of Virginia regarding Shagbark Hickory leaflet: "with persistent tufts of trichomes on teeh" That is the kind of ID information that is really helpful when dealing with the fine aspects of tree ID and came in handy on the Hickory/Hican thread. Add that to the fact that this flora is using all the updated nomenclature.
    Also included 59 Oak species, naturally occuring varieties and hybrids found within the state.
    Like terrestrial orchids? How about 29 naturally occuring orchid species and the habitat they favor.
    Granted, this is a 1554 page book, not one to take with you on the next fieldtrip. For now, for me, this is the best reference on plant ID.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

>I like the Dirr books like everyone elseNot everyone.

• greenthumbzdude
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just an update.....I bought Flora of Virginia......real nice book and very very detailed......now I got to learn how to use the key

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Native Trees for North American Landscapes - by Guy Sternberg & Jim Wilson. Good descriptions and great color photos.

Oaks of North America - Miller & Lamb

Still refer back to Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants from time to time.