Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttonk_gw

japanese maples for full sun & shade

ttonk
10 years ago

Hi all,

Looking for JM for two spots. We have a typical zone 6 weather. Cold/snowy in the winter. Hot in the summer.

Spot #1: In the middle of the west-facing backyard. No screen in the south so will get full sun most of the day. Would want something that gets rather big (+20') & tall and fast growing. Red-purplish leaves in the summer and yellowish fall color (so that it would contrast to red fall color of a red maple next to it) the would be preferred if that kind of JM exists.

Spot #2: North-facing side yard. The planing should be within 4' from the house. The entire side yard is only 8' deep and I need a passage so cannot plant further out. Will get some morning sun, shady all day and some evening sun. Doesn't have to be tall & big but I like a bright color there. Yellow to light green.

Lastly, when is the good season to plant JM? Now? Wait till the fall? Next spring?

What is the best way to buy JM? I went to a local nursery and there weren't many JMs. The largest one they had was about 10' tall but still in a pot, and was $600 (!)
Should I order tiny little ones online?

Comments (12)

• User
    10 years ago

I think mine is Bloodgood. I does grow fairly fast. I have to prune at least yearly or it will start to block walkway. Southern exposure, some shading due to a sugar maple (which I will end up removing because it is sick). But this is a terrific tree. This shot was mid November when leaves go from burgundy to scarlet red--and last a bit. I never water it or do anything for it. I would plant in the Fall. $600 sounds outrageous to me btw. Again, not a slow tree so I would get an affordable one.

For the second site, I would plant something else personally, just to mix it up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloodgood

• ttonk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow such a nice color!
    I think the name of the $600 tree which was smaller in not so red color (more of a brown..), and thinner than yours was actually Bloodgood. Yours look totally different.

• User
    10 years ago

Okay, I just snapped a shot today. This is what color it is for the growing season. Then, it becomes SCARLET RED, redder in fact than the one in the previous shot. Oh, prior owners would radically cut it back yearly!! When I moved in, I assumed it was a small shrub--only 7 years ago! I can see why you think it might be brownish--also depends on time of day and light quality I guess. Colors can be very deceptive--so too, I am wearing sunglasses right now I recall. LOL.

• ttonk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha yes! This is exactly the color I saw yesterday @ the nursery. I am reading about Bloodgood now and it seems a fool-proof JM for a newbie like me..

This post was edited by ttonk on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 16:31

• User
    10 years ago

Okay, great, glad I could help! Since you have seen the same tree in Autumn and Summer, how 'bout Winter now! (Need one for Spring.)

Here is a link that might be useful: JM in Winter

• ttonk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh the picture's so amazing. Thanks much for sharing!!! Can't wait to get one for me.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Just so you know - red or purple leaved Japanese maples only turn redder in fall, never yellow. And many "green out" or change from red/purple to bronze in full sun in hotter summer locations. Bloodgood is supposed to hold its color better than most but even it takes on a lot of green in summer.

8' is a pretty skinny space to contemplate the placement of ANY Japanese maple - even most dwarfs will get at least that wide. I would reconsider that choice of plant for that tight an area.

$600 for a 10' tall Japanese maple is not at all out of the ordinary. They are by no means fast growers so getting to be 10' takes time, especially since none ever get to be very significantly tall. As with any tree, you are paying for age as well as rarity or uniqueness. Bloodgood is perhaps the most common cultivar of Japanese maple, often grown and sold incorrectly/mistakenly, and does grow faster than many others, so $600 for that specimen IS a bit over the top.

If you are willing to start smaller, there are many great mail order maple specialty nurseries. If you are set on Bloodgood you should be able to fid it anywhere but there are so many other great (better?) choices available.

You may want to visit the Maples forum - most of the discussion there is focused on Japanese and other Asian maples but all maples - and maple lovers - are welcomed

• drrich2
    10 years ago

Fireglow is a Japanese Maple that's similar to Bloodgood and tends to be smaller, if your space is a bit cramped for one.

As for time-to-height, be mindful some of the dissectums that have a rather 'weeping' appearance like Crimson Queen or Tamukeyama will probably take a good deal longer to hit 10 feet than a Bloodgood, or at least that's what I'd expect.

Richard.

• JonCraig
    10 years ago

I have an (estimated) 12 year old crimson queen. Based on others I've seen & my own, I doubt it will ever see 10 ft. 10 ft wide maybe.

I also have a Fireglow planted on the south side of the house--full sun from 11am on. I bought it when it was ~5ft tall. It's been there ~3 years and does very well in our hot & humid August here in Mid TN. It does seem to have a more compact crown than a Bloodgood, but I can't speak to whether that's particular to the cultivar, or just because mine is still relatively young.

For what it's worth...

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

I will spell all these wrong as I am on the phone but here comes my $.02

Neither purple ghost nor higasayama is good for full sun in my area even though both will live. Best give them a little shade or else their leaves lose the ornamental qualities you plant them for by the fourth of July.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Again, for some very specific info on Japanese maples, try the Maples forum :-)

Fireglow will only get to be about half the size of Bloodgood and is much redder, less purple in color. All named forms of JM's are grafted (or should be) and with the dissectums or weeping laceleafs, where that graft union is located and how the young tree is trained (staked/unstaked) will determine the final mature height. But most dissectums get far wider than they do tall.

A great many JM's can take full sun, provided other growing conditions are met. Generally, those with red leaves are often considered to be the most sun tolerant. Those with variegation, reticulation (obvious veining like Purple Ghost), and very pale golden or chartreuse foliage should receive at least partial shade.

• ttonk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for great suggestions. Yes I admit all these names and different characteristics are confusing and interesting at the same time. Went to Lowes yesterday and found bloodgood was on sale but I managed to resist..

For the sunny spot, I'd like the tree to become large! So among the choices, I'd go with bloodgood instead of its smaller substitutes. Not that I am fixated on bloodgood as of now.

For the small shade space, can I plant something that will eventually become large but stays tiny for the first 10 years, and move it to somewhere else 10 yrs from now? haha