Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanblanchard_gw

Horstmann's Larch shock when replanting

SusanBlanchard
10 years ago

HI, I bought a Horstmann's larch in May and planted in my garden, used lots of mulch and compost/bark mix around the root ball. All went well until last weekend when the Town where i live announced they would be planting a fire hydrant and associated pipes where my larch was sitting. So I had to uproot the poor tree and move it. I did it as carefully as I could. I found though that the root ball which was in a very large pot when I bought it was more dry than I'd like but the tree had made new roots out from it into the surrounding soil. So I made the new spot the same as the first and repotted the tree and watered loads. That was Thursday. I was gone yesterday and came back today to find all the needles are falling off, having dried out? or Shocked? I bought a transplanting fertilizer and applied it today and am going to water daily. This is a gorgeous tree, and I'm hoping someone can tell me all is not lost, and is there anything in particular I can do - or do I wait till spring to see if it comes back? Should I wrap it for the winter? I have another regular larch tree I've had since a baby that is 12 years old and has done great 15 feet from where this one is..

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH