Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennlee13

Summer Chocolate Mimosa

jennlee13
10 years ago

Sorry if the picture is hard to decipher,,,I couldn't find a good angle to show what I am trying to say. Anyhow, I planted this mimosa last summer. It is growing like crazy...in a good way. I'm worried because the center trunk isn't growing. It has two large beautiful limbs, but the "limb?/trunk?" in the center is dead about halfway up. The trunk only comes 2-3" out of the ground before the big limbs grow off of it. I don't want this to be a bush...I want it to be a tree. I don't know if this is normal, if I need to do something to make it grow UP, or if it even can be fixed. Please HELP!

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the center one is dead

we remove all dead stuff ...

and then we train a new leader ... if we want it in tree form ...

do you think the sprinkler is close enough.. lol ...

what is the long red/brown stick???

is mimosa invasive in your area.. where are you ...??? .. is this one sterile?????

if you want tree form.. then you should start taking the lower branches .... raising the canopy ....

and do you mind.. if your tree had two main trunks.. or do you want a single trunk.. and if so.. why????

commit this to memory: all trees need to be trained.. and training is thru pruning.. and pruning is good ...

proper pruning does NOT harm a tree...

ken

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Albizia julibrissin often forks low.

This post was edited by bboy on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 16:04

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Nice choice, I'm too cheap to fork over the $70 my local garden center is asking for theirs... but I look at it way too much whenever I'm there. It's a mimosa! How can I even consider paying that much for something usually found growing out of a cracked sidewalk?
    Prune it in late winter, I wouldn't be overly concerned with training it, once it gets bigger just trim back whatever smacks you in the face when you're mowing. Within two or three years it will find it's own way to tree height. It's not long lived btw, and as bboy stated it typically forks low and you will not be able to get a generic tree form out of what you have.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

In a small botanical garden east of Kansas City I saw my first Ogon and chocolate mimosa. Here the mimosas are terribly invasive otherwise I would have two flanking my Ogon.

• botann
    10 years ago

Looks like an Albizia julibrissim to me too. Sometimes called a Mimosa, but isn't a Mimosa an Acacia? Darn common names again!
    Mike

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

A mimosa is a traditional brunch drink with orange juice and champagne..... Hmmmmm, I see your point regarding common names.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Not good to be supporting Albizia julibrissin of any kind in the eastern part of the US. Although even in California I am seeing them pop up more and more.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Here a proportion of dead branches is usual.

This post was edited by bboy on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 16:08

• jennlee13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ken_adrian:
    I cut down the center branch, but was worried about cutting it all the way down in one whack because the very base of that branch is still alive w/ a little baby limb coming out of it.

yes the sprinkler is close enough! but that tree is the middle of a round bed of jasmine so I had to put the sprinkler that close so when it turns it waters whole bed! thanks for noticing :)

the long red brown stick is a stake...since the limbs start so low to the ground, I staked that limb because it was bending opposite way of the way it was growing & I was afraid the limb was going to break in the wind.

I am in Tx & I haven't seen any invasive Mimosa in my area...lots in front yards, but they are all there on purpose. I don't KNOW if it's sterile, but I know I haven't yet seen any flowers or seed pods. I'm just hopping that I haven't seen the flowers because it's a baby.

as far as the trunks go... I don't have a preference...as long as it's a tree & not a bush.

as far as pruning this into a tree...there are only the 2 long, relatively large limbs that are in the picture, so I don't know what there is to prune into a higher canopy

• User
    9 years ago

Jenn,
    How is your mimosa doing this year?
    Has it grown any?
    Just wondering, I bought one recently and I am trying to train mine like you did yours, but it has just one trunk so far.
    They are the most beautiful trees I have ever seen.

• rubyhum
    9 years ago

I'm wondering too! :)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz