Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ral_d

help with grouping different trees

Ral_D
10 years ago

I am brain-blocked on whether to go with a random positioning of trees or planned groupings. The trees are to go along ~320' of fence that can flood (avg once every other year). I am planning on two staggered rows. I picked trees that are good for surviving and removing water and will help with summer screening (Bald Cypress, Dawn Redwood, Willow Oak, Sweetgum, hybrid poplar). I am planning on at least 50% bald cypress since they provide better winter screening. Any suggestions on how to group/transition trees?

Thanks,
Ralph

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Random positioning with some odd grouping is probably the most natural look and I might do it less formally than in two staggered rows.

I do like the idea of a preponderance of one species over the others - that is also a more naturalistic approach - but maybe I'm missing something with the bald cypress providing better winter screening. I wouldn't consider any of these choices very good in that regard.

FWIW, plants/trees are not very useful for removing or absorbing excess water - they only take up what they need.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I agree with everything GG said. If you are set on the selections you've chosen, that's fine, but, if we knew where you were, we might be able to help you choose some additional or even better choices. The hybrid poplars may have the advantage of growing quickly, but do realize that they have the disadvantage of dying soon (some more so than others).

• Ral_D
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in East TN. Some years the water has been as high as the spot I took the picture. I didn't pick evergreens since I couldn't find one with foliage that grows back after prolonged immersion. My priority was to get summer visual/sound screening, transpiration of lots of water and still be visually appealing. I thought the bald cypress had a little more winter screening, but I agree it's a wash. I may add some trees to the higher-level pasture in future, but wanted to put most the trees for this effort near the fence. I like the idea of a random combination with some groupings. I would be glad to hear about any other trees I should be thinking about or other trees I might want to drop.

Ralph

• Ruffles78
    10 years ago

The trees you listed sound good, and I also agree with random placements with some odd groupings. One thing I've noticed, with the exception of the sweetgum, all the trees listed have kind of small foliage. Maybe adding Swamp Chestnut Oak or Sycamore would make it more mixed since they have larger leaves. If it were up to me, I would scratch the hybrid poplar completely, and go with Sycamore instead, but that's just my personal preference.

This post was edited by Ruffles78 on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 19:35

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Nyssa sylvatica for the semi flooded area and nyssa aquatica maybe mixed in? Generic acer rubrum is known as swamp maple in some areas.

I think you have received sound advice. Semi random groups. I like sight lines.

Just thinking outside the box, If you are considerably bored I suppose you could line metasequoias up with solstice positions when viewed from your porch.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I am planning on at least 50% bald cypress since they provide better winter screening.

==

how does a deciduous tree offer such????

what is your soil type ...

i had a yard.. that flooded 6 inches... every spring at snow melt ... for a week.. when the soil was still frozen.. and everything dormant.. and NEVER lost a plant .... so.. your presumption about selection due to random flooding.. might not hold sway ...

what is growing in these areas now... what trees???/ .. if any ....

ken

• Ral_D
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ongoing tips. I think the pH is 6.6, but it may be as high as 6.8 (I can't find the test). There are several inches of medium texture soil with clay below. My flooding is usually during summer. I thought I would stick with mostly flood tolerant trees but I would put in a few trees that aren't flood intolerant. I did include a picture of two trees that have survived multi-week floods on the property, but I don't know what they are. One tree (not in picture) is a Willow, but I left it off my list since it requires a lot of clean-up.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Right a silver maple? My neighbor had two last for fifty years down in the damp portion of his yard. No standing water. I like silver maple actually and it looks like you have the room.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

I like sweetbay (silverleaf) magnolias and cyrillas.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists