Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak tree parasites

Posted by chrisnmarie none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 15:44

Hi all,

Total newbie from the UK after some advice. We have recently planted a pendunculate oak in our garden but have discovered small 'lumps' on the underside of some of the leaves and burgundy red circles about 1mm in diameter on others. I am assuming that these are galls and maybe a fungus but don't know whether to try and treat them or just leave them alone. I want to protect the environment as much as I can but I also really would like to protect this tree.
Can anyone offer any advice?
Thank you
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak tree parasites

hard to give any advice w/o a pic...

and i am leery of relying on a self-admitted NEWBIES diagnosis ....

i would presume gall.. and ignore until the leaves fall off.. and then the problem goes away ... there is NOTHING to do when dealing with gall ....

BTW... i would NEVER spray a stressed tree.. for any reason... why double its stress???

pic please.. or compare at link ..

i wish you all the luck in the world.. keep it properly watered.... and review the copy/paste link below .. and lets discuss.. what you did.. if anything.. that is contrary to proper planting ... perhaps we will replant it in fall ....

ken

ps; i would not have bought a tree with such... unless it was some sublime variegated.. only one in the country plant .... newbie lesson #1 ... buy clean stock ... dont you think ... and if your nursery cant provide such.. find a better nursery .... and that was lesson #2 ... lol ..

planting guide: https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Generally speaking, oak leaf galls and spots are nothing at all to worry about. The effect on the tree's health is generally negligible.

Galls are a nearly inevitable part of being an oak tree. In the US, there are more than 2,000 species of gall-forming insects, and about 60% of them specialize on trees in the oak family. Twig galls can sometimes be problematic, but leaf galls are just an aesthetic issue unless it's a really extreme case.

o

My Pin oak has several of them already, I thought at first they were acorns, as they are brown, but they are always on my 2 pin oaks, so same ole, same ole. I haven't tried the Sessile oak, and don't know much about them, I have 3 Q. Robur, all 3 are different from each other in growth form and speed. All 3 are from one tree in England. I got acorns on ebay from England. One is upright fast growth, but not columnar, one fat and short, the other kinda short, but the branches go outward and curve upward, kinda spookily. I love all of them, though.

o

I looked at my Q. Robur today and one of them has what the OP described. The other 2 don't. I'm sure it's just superficial. The one affected is in a low area, the others are uphill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here