Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose of Sharon Blue Satin

Posted by aaronj2005 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 15:46

I just planted a ROS Blue Satin. I am pretty new to gardening. I wanted to know if I planted it in a spot with enough room for growth. How much is it expected to grow? Both width and height? I want it to grow as high and wide as it can to give some privacy.

Thanks

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose of Sharon Blue Satin

• Posted by j0nd03 7 west/central AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 16:05

It is a pretty little plant. I purchased a 5 gallon this spring and I was NOT disappointed with the show. Did it not have a tag on it with the mature dimensions? I think it something like ~12-15' tall and 5-8' wide off the top of my head. Not a fast grower either. It is gonna take a few years to reach the top of that fence. I would not rely on this particular plant for privacy purposes alone, but it does have merit for the pretty flowers. Perhaps you could plant something columnar maybe evergreen near the back of the bed to provide a solid background her and would do a much better job concerning privacy issues. How much sun does it get? I see it is in shade in the pic. Too much shade will produce leggy growth on her.

John

o

Thanks John. It gets morning sun til about 230- 3 pm. What other ROS would you recommend that is a faster grower than blue satin and provides privacy? Do you think I planted it with too much room surrounding it? Thanks!!

o

• Posted by j0nd03 7 west/central AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 17:07

That was my first ROS. I now have another ROS that has double flowering purple flowers. It is more subtle and better suited close to a sitting area. There are a TON of ROS cultivars out there, though. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

That sun amount should be plenty for your baby. Planting location is also good. It will fill in the area, but it will just take a while. Are you considering any other shrubs to plant around it? Adding a little diversity might speed up the fill rate some. You can always remove unneeded plants as the blue sating starts growing "into" them.

Just a thought

John

o

I will probably just keep the ROS in that area by itself. I have a hydrangea to the right out of the baby ROS-- you can see some of it in the picture above. My hydrangea did not bloom at all this summer while last summer it was full. If it doesn't do well next year, I plan to put another ROS in its spot; preferably one that is a faster grower than Blue Satin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here