Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needinfo001

Can i buy and plant a peach tree from home depo at this time

needinfo001
9 years ago

I saw some peach trees at home depot over the weekend and i want to buy one.
Will there be any problems with me planting it in late august or early september?

Comments (17)

• subtropix
    9 years ago

I see no problem. You might even want to wait later to plant.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

I'd keep it potted, watered well (probably almost daily for a container tree in summer), then plant once it cools off some. Put it in partial shade (maybe some morning sun) until you plant it.

• arktrees
    9 years ago

Not until the heat breaks. Simply too much stress right now. Don't know where you are in Arkansas, but the mid/high 90's is no time to plant. Wait a while until the heat breaks. Hopefully that will be soon.

Arktrees

• subtropix
    9 years ago

I tried a dwarf peach tree once. The thing bloomed and fruited heavily the very first year I put in into the ground. I went out the morning I knew they'd all be ripe...they were all harvested the very same AM by some critter! (Probably, a squirrel.)I gave up when it was suggested I spray my peaches with cayenne pepper. LOL! Good luck!

This post was edited by njoasis on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 16:54

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

The little b*stards always see fit to harvest your fruit about 2 days before we humans consider it ripe!

• subtropix
    9 years ago

I only consider growing things I think the animals will hate. (I have a lot of hungry mammals and birds apparently.) Of the edibles, I mostly grow herbs now (rosemary, thyme, bay, oregano, etc.) Several years ago, I did, in fact, plant Cayenne peppers. They got nibbled on too!! Seriously!?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

planting is not really the issue..

my issue would be whether this plant has been sitting at a hardware store since spring... and whether it can live thru all that .... keep your recpt very handy ...

see link about planting ..

you can hold it.. in the pot.. until the leaves fall off.. and plant it then... no stress to the tree .... in trying to save the leaves...

there is a very active fruit forum.... they are simply a different set of experts.. who often do things different than tree peeps ... just a different set of experts ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• alexander3_gw
    9 years ago

If the tree looks OK, I think it will be OK. If it was me, I'd wait until the tree goes dormant to plant. That way, you can shake all the potting mix off the roots and really spread them out when you plant.

• arktrees
    9 years ago

Upper 90's and drier than normal air with some wind is no time to be planting. End of story. Yesterday was 97, some wind, and lower than normal dewpoints. DO NOT PLANT NOW!

Arktrees

This post was edited by arktrees on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 9:39

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

I agree with Arktrees, don't plant now. It's just too hot and dry. Planting now would seriously stress your new tree and lower its chance of survival.

I also agree with Ken, be sure to keep your receipt. No telling what condition the roots are in. Many times plants purchased at big box stores have been sitting around in containers filled with poor soil for a very long time. Sometimes the roots are ok, sometimes not. Just hang on to your receipt.

TYG

• arktrees
    9 years ago

Ken/Yard Guy,
    Can't speak for the OP, but locally what happens is that Lowes gets trees early spring (March), keeps them until late May, then they are gone. Then late August new plants show up that are well cared for (at least they look good), are clumped together in a way that saves space, but also helps the plants. My local HD, on the other hand keeps plants all summer in just the way you are concerned about, and are almost always in very poor condition. I would buy a plant from Lowes in the fall, but certainly not HD.

Perhaps the OP can take a trip over to the other place in a couple weeks once milder temps return.

Arktrees

• needinfo001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess i will go to both Lowes and Home Depot and take a close good luck at the fruit trees they have.

9 years ago

i happened to be at lowes today ... get this.. for hardware ...

as i DROVE BY the plant part ... lol .. i noticed that it APPEARED that there had been a new delivery ... a couple dozen.. NEW PLANTs ... all grouped together ... etc ...

i would have no qualms of buying one.. and HOLDING IT OVER... until the PROPER PLANTING TIME ....

place the BLACK pot .. in full shade .. i dont care if the tree is in sun.. i just dont want to cook the roots in the pot ... in sun on a very hot day ....

my comments above.. were more in line.. with trees.. that were delivered in spring.. and have been sitting there.. with care on a level that i can not predict for a hardware store ... some do well.. others might not ...

its all about the quality of the stock ... as compared to pure impulse ... and the old rule of mine.. JUST BECAUSE YOU BUY IT.. DOES NOT MEAN ITS THE RIGHT TIME TO PLANT IT ... [of course its regional in nature.. but special rules for trees]

ken

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

Arktrees and Ken:

Thanks for letting us know about this. I was unaware that Lowes actually had a spring tree/shrub delivery and a second delivery in late summer. That's very good to know.

The last time I was at both Home Depot and Menards both places had some pretty sad looking trees and shrubs. Lots of dead branches, stunted growth, etc. I would have to get a heck of a deal on any tree or shrub from those two places at this time of year before considering purchasing.

If the trees look good (healthy), and the soil in the container is decent, then you could probably buy a tree now and keep it in the container until the weather starts to cool down. Before buying I would ask about their return policy, just to make sure you can return it if necessary.

TYG

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

I'd wait to buy trees from big box stores. It's too early to plant them, and Lowes typically has end-of-season clearance.

I know how you feel. You see lots of plants flowering and fruiting this time of year, the big box stores are full of plants, so it is hard to resist the temptation to buy.

9 years ago

if you wait.. you may miss them ...

buy now.. put in shade .. plant at proper time ...

but that still begs the question ... if i wanted a peach.. i would go ask in the fruit forum.. for a good cultivar.. and i would mail order a tree for proper planting time.. in spring ...

the fruit peeps will give you good fruit info ... which might be a bit different than us tree peeps...

ken

• arktrees
    9 years ago

Agree with Ken. Talk to the fruit pros before proceeding.

Arktrees

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner