Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krycek1984

White pine

krycek1984
10 years ago

We have a large white pine in our yard. It is about 40 ft away from the house and 35 away from the garage. My partner is convinced it is going to fall over any day and crush us. I disagree.

There are 5 white pines on our property and many more in a grove beyond the garage. I have never known one to fall even through Ike and Sandy (ne ohio). They DO shed branches like crazy when it snows.. And it snows a lot!!!! I think this is what makes him think the tree itself will fall at any moment. I don't mind the falling branches, they can't fall near or on the house or garage.

I have read conflicting opinions-some say white pines have weak/shallow root structures, other say they are fine. I know they live to be hundreds of years old.

We are having a certified arborist stop by for opinions and estimates. The part I'm aggravated about is it will cost the same amount to cut down a dead blue spruce which is only twenty feet away, another blue spruce that is going, and an ancient plum tree that is in our way for the same amount as this one white pine!!

What are your opinions on white pines?

Comments (15)

• Ruffles78
    10 years ago

Leave it. White pines are awesome. Period.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Having lived through storms where white pines really do fall over .....

Having one break off is reasonably rare. I had one break at the base last year, but it had a bad carpenter ant infestation, obvious damage, and was not going to stay upright much longer. It is more usual for them to pull up from the roots. This happens after drenching rains followed by high winds with or without snow. Growing grass under the trees seems to have a stabilizing effect on the roots. I think I've seen one tree where the rootball was pulled up through a lawn. Usually they are in wild areas, or lawn edges where the root mass is under mulch.

The other thing I'll throw out is that they don't seem to cause a lot of damage even if they do fall on houses. Having been through storms where the well-dressed house is wearing a white pine, the damage always seems to be little more than roof damage. The exceptions are in cases like my across the street neighbor when the tree clipped the corner of the garage, and pushed the garage sideways.

• nurseryman33
    10 years ago

I agree - leave it. The world needs more white pines.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you tell us how far it is.. but not how big it is ....

these are forest trees... telephone pole trees... not really suited to most of suburbia ....

but the bottom line.. is interpersonal harmony ....

are you really going to talk your partner out of an irrational fear...????

sure.. good luck with that ...

dump them.. or get rid of the trees... seems like a pretty simple dichotomy .... because i doubt.. from my experience.. that logic is going to work ...

check out the link.. the pix .... down near the bottom ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We got in an argument about it LOL. We are taking it down next year since he hates it. We will still have five on the property, and a huge grove of them beyond the garage. I love them...it will keep me happy.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

I love white pines but then we don't have very many down here.

But I did want to just say "hi!" to you - haven't "seen" you in a while and hope you are well, krycek!

• Ruffles78
    10 years ago

Leave it. White pines are awesome. Period.

• edlincoln
    10 years ago

My parents lost a lot of trees in the last few hurricanes, and most of the trees that survived are white pines.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

This^. And the fact, stated above that as a species, white pine is among the longest-lived of eastern forest trees, suggesting that it is a fit and able species in handling what may come its way. Individual branch loss..oh yeah, that happens. Seldom catastrophic though.

BTW, a good all-around figure for the life expectancy of this species in good growing conditions-right around 400 years.

+oM

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are definitely keeping the rest!!!! Attached is a picture of one of my lovely white pines...they are quite healthy but have become irregular with age due to limb loss from 80" of snow...

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I think you made a great decision. I personally wouldn't want a large white pine over my house either. I've seen a number of them fall over with very little warning. Is it likely, maybe not, but it would be a real domestic mess to try to explain why you didn't remove it if that slim chance was realized, after your partner wanted the tree gone. Given everything you've said, I think you are on the right track. If you think the charge for removal is too high, DEFINITELY get a second and even a third estimate.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

BTW, the tree in your pic is awesome looking...has lots of character!

• krycek1984
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In trying to start my own little micro arboretum...we currently have a grove of sawtooth aspen, the white pines, a 4 year old tulip tree, a cottonwood, a few silver maple, weeping willow, and a forested area. I'm slightly embarrassed to say I have a callery pear...I love them but they break and are invasive so have limited myself to one in an area it won't harm us or other trees. I just planted a black gum/tupelo.

I will be planting honey locust, red oak, sweetgum, red maple, a freemani, a couple dwarf fruit trees, a Kentucky coffeetree, and a redbud...over the course of time :). My very favorite is tulip tree so I may plant one more for "insurance". Another option is a cucumber tree. I am blessed to have the land to do this over time.

Any opinions on a couple small or medium trees other than the black gum?

A poor pic of my beloved tulip tree...it is over twelve feet tall now, not all that wide. Took some years to get going but this year it took off!!!

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Serviceberry! That's what you need ....

• poaky1
    10 years ago

Our 2 shed branches in heavy snow, but won't hit the roof if uprooted, if your's is far from house, cars, other nice plants, I would let em stand. Ours are close to power lines, my parent's planted them in the 70's, they still look good and sturdy.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area