Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my young Red Maple Tree

Posted by Mrainey1234 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 16:24

I planted a 1-1 1/2 young Red Maple tree 3 days ago and know they are curled, brown and hard. It is August. What is wrong with my new tree. Can it be saved. Will the leaves die and the tree live. I have been watering it every other day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my young Red Maple Tree

I would suggest you continue to water the tree and just wait. August and transplanting do not really mix, but many of the small oaks and maples that we have had to transplant in the heat of the summer lose all their leaves, look dead for a few weeks, and then wake-up with new growth and live to see another day.

o

What kind of soil does it have? In the picture, we see lots of rocks.

o

transplant shock ...

wouldnt be surprised if all the leaves fall off ...

track down another.. and mark it.. to dig it up.. in fall.. when the leaves naturally fall off trees.. and you odds of success will increase 99% ...

see link on how to do it all ...

next time you want to try something in the yard... ask first ...

all this said.. its a maple ... it probably .. might .. survive ... if you water it properly ... see link ...

ken

ps: and if you did it leafless.. you wouldnt need the stake.. and the wire ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Was it potted, or did you dig it up?

o

Thank you. You have given me hope. I will continue to water it, in this heat I water it daily but not enough to soak it, afraid too much water will kill it. Any suggestion on watering?

Used top soil and a little peat moss. There is a lot of clay, that is what you see in the picture. Haven't picked it up yet.

The tree came with the leaves on it that is why there is a string around it.

Will check out the link

Sent for it. It came looking healthy with the leaves

o

Where (as in what nursery) did the tree come from, if I may ask?

o

Definitely want to keep watering, but only to keep the ground moist. If your ground is clay, then the little tree is sitting in a clay pot...sorta. Once the leaves fall off, the tree will draw very little water, so extra water will just rot the new roots that will hopefully be growing soon.

o

Brought it thru ebay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here