Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will I lose this oak?

Posted by cyn427 z7aN. VA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 16:33

Yikes! I was outside weeding today near one of out large oaks in the back. This is what I saw. There is a black and white bee/wasp type thing flying around and landing on the area pictured. The white part is sort of foamy/bubbly. We have our trees sprayed for borers, but I missed this year. This area is near the bottom, not on the main trunk, but on one of the large flares. The trees leafed out fine with the exception of one dead branch that needs to be pruned. I hate losing a tree!

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Cynthia

This post was edited by cyn427 on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 18:01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will I lose this oak?

Here is a slightly closer-up view.

o

It doesn't look too bad now. Depending on what the real problem is, it may be something minor. I guess I'm not of much help, but, whatever it is APPEARS to not be severe at this time. Ken will chime in or Dax etc.

o

was the soil level raised significantly .... ???

i see no root flare ...

any construction close by??? ...anyone back into it????

ken

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 8:57

I've seen that on forest oaks. My guess is a lesion forms under the bark & starts bleeding. But seems they are able to heal them over without too much trouble after a yr or two.

o

Ken, that is one of the flares. No cars (side yard) and no construction. I will run get another pic from farther away to show you, but please ignore the area behind-pups have destroyed the garden there. It is on my to-do list to replant. ;)

Ok, here it is. You can see the spot of white on the right.

Thanks again, beng and Ken. Hope you are right Beng!

o

How recently was that rock wall put up, and the dirt piled up behind it?

o

The wall has been there for six years. There has always been a hill there; we just put the wall to further define that area and stop erosion. The hill originally started where the siding and smooth part of foundation ended. The level of soil at the garage has dropped more than 10 inches as you can sort of see in upper left of last picture. Except for that one area, the tree seems very healthy.

This post was edited by cyn427 on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 12:07

o

I am surprised Ken didn't realize that was a root flare. Even I could tell it was. Sorry Ken. I must make me feel good by the fact I knew it was a root flare.

o

Look up 'slime flux' and 'bacterial wetwood'.

o

You need to ask yourself key questions to know what to do with your tree.

What it the overall health of the tree?
Is it damaged from any severe storm?
Has the tree leader lost? etc

You can use sharp knife to remove that spots from the tree or can use any pest / insect control spray.

Here is a link that might be useful: Protect Your Damaged Trees

o

I am the poster child for not drinking and posting, sorry Ken.

o

Thanks, lucky p! I think you nailed it. I am relieved and will read up on it this weekend, but it looks like it may not be too serious, if I am lucky, too! ;)

Darren, as I said, the tree is otherwise healthy-no storms, no leader issues, well-leafed out and looking good except for the spot which looks exactly like the pictures of slime flux.

Thanks again to everyone for helping. I do hate losing any tree!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here