Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dunstan Hybrid Chestnut: Does it live up to the hype?

Posted by nick_b79 z4 MN (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 28, 10 at 16:58

I was looking for sources of hybrid chestnuts for my edible landscaping project, and ran across the Dunstan hybrid strain at Chestnut Hill Farm. This quote stood out at me:

"There has not been a single reported instance of Dunstan Chestnuts dying of blight infection in over 30 years. This includes research and breeding programs as well as the many other locations where the Dunstan Chestnuts have been grown throughout the nation."

Has anyone here grown the Dunstan, or otherwise had experience with it? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dunstan Hybrid Chestnut

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dunstan Hybrid Chestnut: Does it live up to the hype?

Does sound a bit hyped up sales talk there.

One point to bear in mind; chestnuts are outcrossing, so if you plant all of just one cultivar you won't get much successful pollination. A mix of several different cultivars will give far better crops.

Resin

o

not been a single reported instance of Dunstan Chestnuts dying of blight infection in over 30 years

===>>>> that isnt even the life span of a single tree/generation .... thats right up there with defining weather cycles on a multi-billion year old rock based on 100 years of data ...

that, and.. most trees dont become affected with problems until they are OLD .... and 30 year old trees can barely be considered old ....

ken

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 11:23

Dunstan is said to do poorly in northern states. One option is to try Oikos tree crops hybrids they have, or for the best chance of growing your own chestnuts, look up Badgersett hybrid chestnuts.

o

Thanks for the input. I do have several Oikos hybrid chestnut seedings already (several each of their Timburr, American Hybrid, and Seguin strains) grown from seed they were selling last fall. I also have been considering purchasing some from Badgersett since they are locally grown for me. Guess I'll stick with those choices then.

o

Dunstans from Chestnut Hill are seed grown to my knowledge. I have about two dozen seedlings right now in containers from seed collected in Georgia (I can't legally call them 'Dunstan').

I also have the ECOS and the Timburr trees from Oikos and the Dunstans are different. The Oikos trees have less pubescent leaves and I believe they have more American DNA compared to the Dunstan.

o

I was given 5 Dunstan seedlings, about 2 foot size, in about 2002, purchased from the original Florida source as a gift. I planted them on a small sunny parcel on Long Island, NY. They exhibit a wide range of success versus chestnut blight, but all are infected. A complication is that the smaller ones have been damaged by rabbit and deer browsing. All 5 are alive, but three have almost completely died back, only to resprout. The dieback was definitely caused by blight. One of those resprouts is up to about 10 feet high on its largest trunk. The second best one is about 15 feet high and had male flowers 2 years ago but no female flowers. The standout is a rounded (not a strong central leader tree), about 20 feet tall and 25 feet wide which has produced a 40-60 nuts each of the past 3 years, pollinated by a chinese chestnut seedling and the other Dunstan. It has cankers but responds vigorously to them

o

I was given 5 Dunstan seedlings, about 2 foot size, in about 2002, purchased from the original Florida source as a gift. I planted them on a small sunny parcel on Long Island, NY. They exhibit a wide range of success versus chestnut blight, but all are infected. A complication is that the smaller ones have been damaged by rabbit and deer browsing. All 5 are alive, but three have almost completely died back, only to resprout. The dieback was definitely caused by blight. One of those resprouts is up to about 10 feet high on its largest trunk. The second best one is about 15 feet high and had male flowers 2 years ago but no female flowers. The standout is a rounded (not a strong central leader tree), about 20 feet tall and 25 feet wide which has produced a 40-60 nuts each of the past 3 years, pollinated by a chinese chestnut seedling and the other Dunstan. It has cankers but responds vigorously to them

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here