Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Willow Acacia dying?

Posted by raffusc AZ (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 17:01

Hi,

I think my Willow Acacia is dying. I live in Phx Arizona.
Here are my observations.
- I started noticing the tree did not have the usual lush last Fall.
- I called an arborist that told me the tree was just a little stressed but that was fine.
- In the mean time the tree kept losing leaves, the couple of frost days we had did not seem to exacerbate the situation.
- Then in March the tree bloomed with the usual bunch of yellow flowers, so I thought the tree was coming back.
- But after the bloom new leafs wouldn't grow; I called a different arborist that told me the tree was not dying and it would have come back soon.
- Well it is August and still no leaves! When I check the branches by bending them, some they brake like they are dead and some they just bend without braking like they are still alive.

Shall I get rid of the tree ?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Raff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Willow Acacia dying?

Are you saying that your acacia is now completely leafless?

It sounds like it's either dead or, at least, in serious trouble. More info would have to be known to determine (or even make a good guess at) the cause. Not all arborists are created equal, and some (especially many of the non-certified ones) just don't seem to know much about trees at all. Of course without being there, I probably shouldn't assume the situation is so similar to what I see frequently.

o

Any suggestions?

Post pix. And give more info: age, watering, etc.

Dan

o

Hello,

Thanks for the feedbacks.
My camera broke recently so for now I cannot post pictures.
Anyway, they would show an almost leafless tree with the remaining leaves that are drying. The tree is 8 years old and is watered for 2 hours every 4 days in the Phoenix summer heat (about 110F). I tried helping it by soaking the base with the hose for 1/2 hour every week, but I stopped doing it end of June. What is puzzling me (I am a novice in gardening) is: if a tree is dead, why some of the branches don't crack when bent and some do? Shouldn't all crack?

o

How easily a branch breaks is dependent upon a number of factors. I wouldn't use that to determine whether or not a limb was dead. You can scape a small area of bark off and see if there is still green underneath, but even that has its limitations.

Why don't you contact your local extension agency. They may be able to help you determine the cause and should be equipped to check for things like cotton root rot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maricopa County Extension Contact Info

o

I'd say - based on provided info - root rot from overwatering. Co Extension may be able to confirm or deny, if they are still staffed.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here