Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ally0373

Need help choosing small shade tree!!

ally0373
9 years ago

Hello all,

I am new to the forum but really need your help, so if I say something nonsensical about trees/gardening, please be kind. :-)
We are wanting to plant a tree on our hillside to create shade for us while we are enjoying our backyard. Because it is a hillside, we would like a tree that tends to spread wide rather than grow too tall. We are concerned about invasive trees, as it is difficult to get up on the hillside on a regular basis and have to pull seedlings out. Plus, there are other bushes and small shrubs around where this tree will be planted so if seedlings "escape" into shrubs, we won't know until its too late. We live in Southern California---our hillside gets full sun. What can we plant that can give us a nice canopy of shade, is non-invasive (I don't mind going up there 2-3 times a year and pulling things up), thrives in full sun, and that is moderately growing (don't want to wait 15 years to enjoy the shade it can provide), and can be trained to have its branches extend out as opposed to extend high up. We love the branch structure of an Albizia juliprisum (sp?) but unsure about its invasive tendencies in so cal. We also like the koelreuteria (golden rain tree) and its yellow dangly flowers, but worried about the same thing. Wondering about the brazilian pepper tree as a good option and then also the bronze loquat as well. If you all can recommend anything else, please do!
Thanks so much in advance!!
Ally

Comments (5)