Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing hedges around an oak

Posted by LiteSpeed none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 17:44

I have a beautiful coast live oak (Quercus agrifolia) about 24" in diameter that is currently surrounded by out of control juniper hedges and a few star jasmine bushes.

I would estimate the drip line to be about 30 feet in diameter. Most of the unwanted hedges are beneath the drip line of the desired oak.

These juniper hedges trunks are from 10 to 16" in diameter. After limbing the hedges, how do you sugggest removing or properly killing the junipers without damaging the oak?

I want to pull them out like I've done before with a chain around the roots and trunk and my vehicle but I fear I will do damage to the oak's root system.

Thanks for you input in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing hedges around an oak

you are thinking all wrong..

cut the the ground.. and be done with it..

why do they need to be pulled out????

once cut to the ground.. they will be dead.. no need to even treat the stumps ...

i know you love your vehicle.. but you dont need it for this job ...

you are really doing a tim taylor MORE POWER thought.. rather than the easy way ...

ken

o

Thanks! That makes it much easier! I've just heard / read that if you don't remove the roots of these buggars, they grow back. But, I'm happy to just cut the stumps to the ground. I'd rather NOT use the vehicle honestly; I'd much rather her just pull the boat.

Why take them out? I don't like juniper or star jasmine. I want to see the oak and maybe some low-lying, small plants supporting the architecture of the oak not competing with it. Which is what these 'weeds' are doing.

o

i am relying on YOUR ID ...

if it is not a juniper... or one i am not familiar with.... then they might reflush.... i dont even know where you are.. or if you grow some weirdo derivation of J ....

but i doubt it ...

i have no experience with star jasmine ...

but if i wanted to insure a plant dies .. cut to the ground dies.. i would use the very expensive applicator at the link .. and use 100% [41%] round up on the cambian layer.. which is the green ring just below the bark ... 99% kill rate ... and very little actual use ... and anything that pops back up.. one snip.. and one drop.. to continue toward death ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: brand doesnt matter.. its the precise flow that is the trick .... return unused product to origianl properly labeled container ....

o

Ken's post says cambian layer, it is cambium layer. I think so anyway.

o

i missed the rule on spelling.. lol....

thx poaky

ken

o

If they were yews, yes, they would grow back. Junipers won't. Even if they did begin to reflush, you could treat the stumps, but my (educated) guess is they will be dead once you cut them to the ground.

o

I just had to remove a honeysuckle shrub under a pin oak. One of the scentless, invasive ones. I put compost on top and put a heavy garbage bag on top. So far so good, it's been over a month. Hope that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here