Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Centennial Spirit Crape Myrtle- sun exposure?

Posted by aaronj2005 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 17:51

I planted one from Lowe's that is about 4 ft tall. Regretfully, I planted the tree in a spot that only gets close to 3 1/2 - 4 hours of direct sun a day. How do you think it will fair in this situation and in southern New Jersey? How tall would it get and how much flowering?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Centennial Spirit Crape Myrtle- sun exposure?

• Posted by hortster 6A southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 21:12

My bet is that if there is anything you can do to increase sunlight for the plant, do it (trim trees, bushes, etc.). Crapemyrtles like a lot of sun - my 'Centennial Spirit' is in full sun and blooms its buttinski off with adequate watering. I have a 'Zuni' that has been slowly overgrown with an ash tree (tree seriously borer bitten but amazingly healthy looking) and it has begun to decrease in bloom production. Do some tree or shrub trimming or move your crapemyrtle to a sunnier spot in SPRING.
hortster

o

I really don't have any other place to move the crape myrtle to. My neighbor has a tree on their property that blocks some sun, but I cannot cut or trim any limbs down as they are on my neighbor's property. Do you think it will do okay with 4 hours of sun? How tall is yours in full sun?

o

Your Crape Myrtle could reach about 20, if not killed back by a cold winter. I fear that it might be a bit lanky and leggy since it will not be grown in the full sun. Flowering might be weak, as well. But the most troubling problem will be that of powdery mildew.

You see, Centennial Spirit is not one of the hybrids (L. indica x faureii) so popular in today's landscapes. These hybrids bring wonderful attributes to this genus of plants...gorgeous fall color, high disease resistance, and beautiful exfoliating bark. Centennial Spirit is a pure Lagerstroemia indica. Some sites report powdery mildew resistance as fair (which really means terrible), while others list it as good (which means fair).

I fear that your crape will be even more susceptible without the full, blazing sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here