Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edlincoln

Trees that Don't Work in New England

edlincoln
9 years ago

The problem with the internet is it is location-agnostic. You get lots of advice from people in very different conditions. Catalogs, of course, are selling to people across the country. I suspect Big Box stores make decisions as to what to carry at a national (or at least regional) level.

I think it would be useful to compile a list of popular or common trees that just don't work in New England. Anyone have any ideas? Trees that collapse under ice storm, trees the are being devastated by a local disease, trees that can't take our humid summers, etc. In theory looking at Zone tolerances should tell you if the tree can survive our winters, but Zones aren't perfect, so if you can think of some cases where the states zone tolerance is deceptive, that's useful. Also, trees that are considered invasive species in some New England State. I'm particularly interested in the local disease aspect...that's harder to find information on then climate. Every tree that is studied enough will be found to be subject to some pest, and if you look at a reference for serious gardeners you will find looong lists of problems...but in some cases those are pests that discolor the leaves a little, while in others those are pests that make the tree completely impractical in certain areas.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022