Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvermaple_gw

Silver maple a goner?

silvermaple
9 years ago

Hello,

The leaves on our beautiful backyard tree are wilting and browning unseasonably early. I think it's a silver maple but I'm not sure. Today, I noticed this mushroom growth at the bottom of the trunk and from a web search, it looks like Ganoderma lucidum. Is the tree and mushroom identification correct and is there anything I can do to save the tree? The tree is right next to our house so if it's doomed, I'll need to remove it ASAP I'm assuming.

Thanks,
Charles

Comments (7)

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    9 years ago

Just because of the mushrooms I don't think that matters much.

Where are you located, are you in a drought?

is there sap dripping from the tree?

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

I have a different opinion on the mushrooms. If I see them on a tree I assume they are growing off rotting wood. I have removed two silver maples myself and had an oppurtunity to watch the mushrooms grow off their soft rotting trunks. Both my trees were past their peak which did not bother me, but the base of each was rotting. Mushrooms. Soft wood. No mention of an odd climate this summer. Its time to go.

I actually like silver maples btw. Neat bark. Fast growth. Early decent red flowers. Good yellow fall color.
    Out in a field this is of no concern. Next to your house?

From St Louis I think its time to take it down. At the very least have an arborist over and see if he can think of any reason to expect it to recover.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Leaves look chlorotic (Yellow coloration on foliage that is supposed to be green) Did this just happen? That would be most strange. In general, I'd be inclined to agree with toronado. It's in a place where there is a definite target should failure occur-your house, and from the photo looks to be in very poor condition. Silver maple grows exceedingly fast, so even if you feel you must have one, it could easily be accomplished such that in just a few years, you'd be off and running with your new tree, hopefully a bit further from the house.

I am not a maple-hater, nor do I hate silver maples specifically. But in this case, I think the big saw is your friend.

+oM

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its overhanging your house ... you have two options....

remove it now ...

or hire a ASA certified arborist to determine its health ... and then remove it ...

sorry ... i wouldnt live with unhealthy old trees.. hanging over my house ...

pix are small .. but the middle one.. makes it look like it had been previously topped ???? ... is that correct??? .. if so.. remove it now ...

ken

ps: mushrooms do NOT grow ON .... healthy trees... they grow on rotting wood ...

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Here we come to what may seem like a contradiction in terms of tree health-fungi fruiting bodies appearing on tree trunks. Ken said "mushrooms do not grow on healthy trees....." and I paraphrase, but mostly, I disagree, although there is an element of truth in the statement.

Trees can exist for decades as hollow cylinders, perfectly "healthy", if by that term ,we mean able to grow, produce new tissues, produce reproductive structures, etc. The inner wood of a mature tree, aka 'heartwood', is not alive. It still helps the tree with stability and strength, but plays no role whatsoever in "tree health". So if there is decay in the heartwood-a very common occurrence-the tree can still be perfectly "healthy", doing all the things trees do, for years, if not decades.

What Ken means, I dare say, is that the appearance of these fruiting bodies does indicate that decay is present within the wood column of the tree, and there I agree. It's one of the conundrums of tree healthcare that we err when we say that the presence of decay indicates some lack of health. It does not.

Now that does not mean this is a safe situation. The tree may be healthy, but in your case, that does not appear to be so. Add in the Ganoderma-nice work BTW in ID'ing-which is known to attack heartwood of a variety of tree species, and you have evidence for the tree not being structurally sound in all respects. Since it is near a target (your house), that argues for its removal, and since it's an easy species to come by, and grows ridiculously fast, why not just get it down and be done with it. Then, if it's a silver maple you gotta have, stop over at my house when I'm cleaning my gutters. I'll have 5000 of the things for you!

+oM

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Though if you have need of a longer lived less trashy tree, consider something else.

Silvers make the most mess, with their weak limbs that break all the time, and those terribly whirling seed pods that are a menace for miles.

• nurseryman33
    9 years ago

There are seedless silver maples. I have had 4 of them for 10 years and not one whirlybird.