Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyharley05

Ash tree seeds

ladyharley
13 years ago

I have a tree this year that has seeds on it. How do I know when they are ripe so I can propagate and how do I propagate the seeds?

On the right side of this link the "closeup of European Ash seeds" is what they look like... can anyone help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraxinus

Comments (12)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

First you want the specific epithet so you know how to stratify them, as the species differ; if you are just looking for yard trees, try planting them in the ground after they ripen, as that will be their cold stratification. Second, if you are looking for a business opportunity to combat emerald ash borer, that's a long time window. Third, ripe seeds are brown with a full seed cavity.

Dan

• ladyharley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It a Green Ash and it's, I would say about a little over 10 years old, but never saw the green things hanging on it before much less ever saw then turn brown or fall. I guess the tree must take a while to mature to produce seeds. I have another ash that doesn't product seeds and is about the same age. This is just for propagation to plant on my property. I read "just" read that when they turn brown, I can put them in dirt in the refrig for 120 days and then put on a warm spot? I'm in NM so "usually" we don't have that cold winters, we will see as the climate has changed a bit.

Thanks

• gardningrandma
    13 years ago

That's funny because typically green ashes (that aren't seedless clones) produce numerous unwanted seedlings that end up in your flower beds and everywhere else. It can get to be such a nuisance that seedless ashes are more common to find in nurseries. It probably won't be long now before you have more seedlings than you know what to do with. I would put the ripe seeds in soil outside.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

personally i wouldnt fool with it all .. as noted.. once a tree is comfortable enough to seed.. odds are you will be out int he yard... beating back all the volunteers with a stick .. lol ..

but i dont want to discourage your experiments ... instead i will enable .. lol ..

first.. dirt is what is all over you.. when you work in soil .... or media

soil has way too many pathogens .. molds.. mildews.. etc .... to be using as a stratification media ..

ergo .. i would use some type of media .. and i would sterilize it first .... its real easy.. based on the info at the link....

then.. you have to decide what kind.. as some need SOME water.. and some just want it cold .... so as i recall a lot of peeps use barely damp sand.. rather than a peat mix.. which could keep them too wet ...

as noted.. properly ID the specific tree [which peeps here can do with a pic of the leaves and bark] ... then use google.. to search for a proper method.. including temps .. media.. length ... etc ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ladyharley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, I have successfully propagated thornless Honey Locust trees. I went to the nearby school and pick up the seeds that were from the prior year. I knicked the seed and planted it and voila...a beautify honey locust. I have planted four, only one is thriving due to this weather change. I just wasn't on whether I needed to stratify the seeds in the refrig in or out of dirt.

Thanks for the great info.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

well the simple solution.. other than googling the info.. is grab a bunch ...

throw a few in the fridge..

a few in pots left out all winter..

and some in the ground..

and find out how it all works..

BTW.. i lost all my green ash to EAB .. are you in a borer area?????

ken

• scotjute Z8
    13 years ago

Emerald Ash Borer has not made it down here to Texas. Would expect the same for New Mexico.
    As for reseeding,it is too dry most years for many trees to start from seeds except for maybe every 3rd or 4th year here. So trees that would normally be reseeding prolificly back east or north will only occasionally reseed due to the usual heat and drought. Would expect something similar for New Mexico. A relentless sun is very unforgiving.

• ladyharley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good idea Ken, that way I can find out :-) I did the refrig with the Honey Locust and Oleanders and it stratified perfectly.

I think the Borers are around, but they haven't infected any of my trees. They have been planted since about 1998. The two big Green Ash trees..only one has the green seeds/fruits hanging down..which I guess around Sept they should turn brown. I have never seen that tree with them before the other one doesn't have anything and they were planted at the same time.

The only thing I see on both trees are darn ants.

• ladyharley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good idea Ken, that way I can find out :-) I did the refrig with the Honey Locust and Oleanders and it stratified perfectly.

I think the Borers are around, but they haven't infected any of my trees. They have been planted since about 1998. The two big Green Ash trees..only one has the green seeds/fruits hanging down..which I guess around Sept they should turn brown. I have never seen that tree with them before the other one doesn't have anything and they were planted at the same time.

The only thing I see on both trees are darn ants.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Ladyharley, emerald ash borers shouldn't be "around" in NM. They are quickly invading from the upper great lakes now into my area (NE Ohio), as well as now IL, MO, and a few others.

It's impossible to say when they will get to NM, or IF they will. What do you think about that Dan or one of the other experts? How long do you think it'll take to get to NM, western TX, CO, etc.?

• ladyharley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

krcek1984

Conservation Seedling List
    New Mexico State Forestry Conservation Seedling Program ..... Pest Problems: ash borer. Suggested Uses: windbreaks, reclamation, erosion control and ...
    www.emnrd.state.nm.us/FD/treepublic/SeedlingList.aspx

http://aces.nmsu.edu/ces/yard/1998/081098.html

http://www.fs.fed.us/wwetac/projects/jacobi.html

http://aces.nmsu.edu/ces/yard/2007/031007.html

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Do note that native borers attack ash trees, not just emerald ash borers, including Podosesia syringae.

As far as I am aware, there are no confirmed cases of *emerald* ash borer in NM or in any of the bordering states, although this could change in the future.