Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon3333

Japanese Beetle infested American Elm

jon3333
12 years ago

I am looking for opinions...

I have a large 40+ yr old American Elm that has been completely infested with Japanese Beetles (60% of canopy gone). With DED out there, I planted tulip trees under the Elm canopy. They have only grown 1' or less for the past 3 yrs but that was ok since they were more of an insurance policy so to speak. Anyway, now with these stupid beetles infesting this tree, should I remove it and let the tulip trees take over or should I leave it and see if it gets infested next year. If I remove it, I will still have other tulip trees, london plane trees, black walnut, Moraine Sweetgums, and silver maples around the canopy hole that could also fill in. ALL other trees in and around my property are not affected by the beetles (which probably makes the infestation worse). Right now I am 60% remove and 40% keep. I am in my early 30s and for now my mind set is the sooner I remove it, the sooner something better will grow into its place. What do you think? Am I being too quick to "pull the trigger" just because of 1 year?

Thanks,

Jon

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES