Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellily

Alta Southern Magnolia - Size?

bellily
13 years ago

Hello,

I have bought an Alta Southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora TMGM) plant and it say's it gets 20 ft tall by 9 feet wide in 10 years. Anyone know what the full size of this tree would be (in 30 years)? I want to be sure and place it in a good location.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (17)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

Last time I drove to Memphis I was reminded why ppl love southern magnolias. The main line of the species grows in an entirely different scale just one step further south than st louis!

Alta I'm not familiar with but I bet it grows larger in Georgia than in St. Louis. Good or bad depending on your spot.

• lsst
    13 years ago

I have 4 Alta Magnolias.
    They will stay narrow. Mine are growing much taller than wide.
    I do not know of anyone that has had them more than 20 years
    to determine the growth at 30 years.

• bellily
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information. I live in St. Louis and found this tree and thought it was pretty cool. I will see what happens. Thanks again.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Ditto both above comments. 'TMGH' (aka Alta) was produced as a seedling in 1989. It was later discovered (named) in 1993 and reproduced in 1995. So, even the original tree (if still alive) is only 21 years old, and offspring would be 15 years old or less.

• Babbreit_verizon_net
    13 years ago

I am trying to decide whether to purchase an Alta or a Brown Bracken for our garden. We would like it to max out at 20 ft. Can we keep the Brown Braken's height in check if we purchase it. Our garden is not real large or should we stick to the Alta for safety.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

I grew one for a few years in USDA 8, until it burned one winter, and was removed. So I have to wonder about its prospects in USDA 6.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Barbara,

I have a 'TMGH' (aka Alta) and a 'Bracken's Brown Beauty' here in zone 6, and have seen no winter burn at all. Of course my zone 6 (which is more like a high zone 7, in reality, these days) may be very different than yours. Considering climate factors, other than hardiness zone, may be necessary to determine how various Magnolia grandiflora cultivars will deal with cold temperatures in a particular site. You say you are in zone 6, but you don't say where in zone 6, so it's impossible to say how well suited these would be to your location.

You mention keeping the height in check. How do you propose to do that?

Are you worried about utility wires or something like that, or just appearance regarding the height?

• Robin
    10 years ago

Just bought a good size... 6ft. Alta, by mistake. It is very full and lush, huge at six feet. It looked like a very healthy Little Gem. I got home and a nursery tag hidden in the foliage said... Alta Southern Magnolia. Even the nursery thought it was a Little Gem. I wanted the Little Gem because I read it is a faster grower.... anyone know the difference in growing rate, if any? How much growth can I expect in the next couple of years?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I know this is an old thread. Little Gem in an inferior plant to Alta. Little Gem is less hardy and more prone to snow breakage. I think Alta doesn't get quite as large as Little Gem either. 'Alta' is a very unique and smaller growing evergreen magnolia. More in scale with smaller yard landscapes.

My opinion.

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

Aparently the "Alta" can get 20W x 50H

http://www.selecttrees.com/pgs/Portfolio.php?TREE=12

• woodygap
    8 years ago

Alta Magnolia in my backyard planted april 2006 (45 g) now its 35' tall. Wonder how big it will be in 10 years?

• sam_md
    7 years ago

Pic taken this morning @ Magnolia collection of Nat'l Arboretum. See small flower of 'Alta'. Plants are dense with much brown on leaf underside. If this one can get 50' tall in time, how is it better than other standard magnolias? Also, what does TMGH stand for? See link from originator

• bellily
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow. So beautiful. I can’t believe it has been over 11 years since my original post. The one I planted is over 25 feet tall. The blooms and smell are amazing. Thanks for the update. Here is a picture of mine.

• Andrew Sottile
    8 days ago

How wide has it gotten?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    7 days ago

I love the leaves on Alta. They look so tropical and remind me of Ficus elastica.

• 41 North (Zone 7a/b, NE, coastal)
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Victoria reminds me of Ficus elastica, leaf buds are very reddish. This is a Victoria, after the new leaves emerged in June, I just LOVE this cultivar. Will try to capture the reddish new growth before leaves fully emerge this year.