Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Bosque' Lacebark Elm

Posted by lou_midlothian_tx z8 DFW, Tx (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 07 at 20:44

Does anyone have them? I've read that they have central leader unlike other lacebark elm cultivars and it got me interested in it mainly because lacebark elm apparently is fast growing tree in caliche (limestone) soil by far. Ash is about the same but i can't be certain if it's arizona or texas so I'm avoiding them at this time.

What surprised me is how much they grew at some of the houses in my subdivision for the past 2 years despite of no mulch at all. Oaks and others didn't grow very much where they didn't have any mulches at all.

Having seen mature 'Bosque' tree on a website, i thought it looked better with the central leader than what i've seen in my subdivision. i wouldn't mind getting one if i ever find one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Bosque' Lacebark Elm

Yes they are very fast growing. They are nice trees really. The fall color is pretty good and the bark is attractive. The only reason I wouldn't plant one here is they are invasive in this area so you might check on that first.

o

A lot of places are recommending Lacebark Elm except for old cotton farms for root rot problems. I only came up with one reference to lacebark elm's invasive. Nothing official.

Then again, more and more people are staying away from chinese pistache (female) because of its invasive nature even though it is on Texas Super Star list (only 4 trees on it)...

o

Yeah I know. It's also like the GA EPPC saying not to plant bermudagrass and the UGA recommending and encouraging it's continued use. Nobody's on the same page.

It's one of those things where you can just ask around and someone will know what and where and if. And if it's not, go for it. It's hard to find all those same offerings in a midsize tree.

o

I spent much of yesterday digging up ulmus parvifolia seedlings from an arboretum's "natural" meadow area. Trust me, they have the potential to be VERY invasive, whether or not they've made any official invasive list(s).

o
PS: Invasive stuff

A web search of the latin name (ulmus parvifolia) along with the word "invasive' will turn up a good deal of information. I bet the number of hits will increase exponentially in the next couple of years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here