Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Roots Above Ground

Posted by elroyyboy MO Zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 21:49

Hi,
I have three trees in my front yard, a poplar, a gum tree, and a maple, all of which have roots growing along the top of the ground. I imagine that as a result of years of neglect, the soil is pretty compacted.
My question is can I cut out some of the roots? The maple has a large (3-4" in diameter) root growing towards the foundation that I expect will invade, if it hasn't already, the 4" drain tile planted along the foundation.
All the trees are mature. The poplar is about 60', the gum about 40' and the maple 50-60'.

THanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Roots Above Ground

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 23:23

It won't invade the drain tile unless there's a hole/crack in it.

If you cut the 3-4" root, how many remain?

o
RE: Tree Roots Above Ground

that root probably goes on for another 50 to 100 feet from the 4 inch part ... its most likely long past your field.. and your house...

you problem is NOT neglect of the trees ...

your problem is the choice of trees planted by whomever ...

there is only one way to solve the issue.. and that would be to get rid of the offending trees.. and plant trees that are not known for their surface roots ...

IMHO.. THERE IS NOTHING YOU ARE GOING TO DO TO CHANGE THE CIRCUMSTANCES ...

btw ... the maple will replace the severed root.. with a couple million replacement roots ... and in a year or two... you will have bigger problems... its a no win situation ...

good luck

ken .. the maple hater.. for said reasons...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here