Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaillover_gw

What crabapple is this?

I got this from the clearance section for $7.50. There were no tags on it. Can someone ID the type of crabapple it is? I want to do some research before I plant it.

Comments (7)

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Ornamental. vs one of the 'edible' types.

This post was edited by lucky_p on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 22:17

• Hurtle
    9 years ago

Lowes by me has had Profusion crabs that look like that for 75% off this time of year for the last two years. Just a shot in the dark. There are many crab apple varieties out there.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

a tree is a tree...

a crab is a crab ...

plant it like any other tree or shrub ...

the type or cultivar name is irrelevant to such ... see link ...

flower color usually defines a crab ... 'profusion' is as good an option as any other red flowering crab ..

i would hold it for planting in mid sept or so.. when nights are cooling .. as compared to august ... this kinda depends on your local weather ... especially if it needs any root surgery ... as in root bound in the pot ...

my profusion at 13 years... is about 15 feet tall and wide ... and suckers like the devil himself.. though i have no clue what that means... lol

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, thanks all. I was thinking there were many varieties that may have different height and width characteristics. I want to plant it by the driveway but wasn't sure how much room to leave for growth. If it's a profusion, that would give me a good idea. Thanks for the tree planting link too, Ken.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

'profusion' is as good an option as any other red flowering crab

==>>> i meant in terms of a name suggestion ...

i would plant it 6 to 10 feet from a driveway ...

they are interesting as ... here in adrian mi .... they hold their fruit for most of winter... the bigger birds attack them.... after they have froze..and then thawed .. and sometimes after they ferment .. lol ... stoned birds like to fly into windows ...

good luck

ken

• spedigrees z4VT
    9 years ago

I have a profusion crabapple that I dearly love and would be delighted to find another, but none of the online stores carry this variety. I have other flowering crabs that are beautiful too, but none can touch my profusion for grace and beauty. Mine is about 15-20 years old.

Profusion is a semi-weeping tree that looks drop dead gorgeous if the lower branches are not cut off (never could understand why people do that anyways!) and if you keep the suckers that spring up around the tree chopped off (otherwise it will revert to its non-hybridized ancestry).

Ornamental flowering crabs, like other apples, are wonderful trees. They don't grow too huge, they bloom in spectacular red/pink blooms in the spring, and the leaves have a lovely bronze tinge to them. They do well in areas that get a lot of water and in fertile soil.

Plant and enjoy your tree!

• SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

spedigrees, that is a beautiful tree! I can only hope mine ends up looking half as nice. Funny, someone at work told me to cut the lower branches off. Because it's already a bit spindly I didn't think that would be a good idea. I'm glad you think they should remain.

I got this one at Meijer (which may only be familiar to Ken). Believe it or not, I've found most of the flowers/shrubs here to be just as nice as the higher end nurseries in my area, and much cheaper.