Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie4_gw

Golden Shadows Dogwood 'cornus alternifolia'

carrie4
14 years ago

I saw this in a nursery catalog. Is it a tree or a bush? I want a small tree. Do you think it would do well in a Zone 3/4? Are they difficult to grow? Does anyone have one and how do they do and are they a lovely tree/bush?

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Species often bush-like anyway, variegated forms all the more so. Must have constant moisture for this species.

• mainegrower
    14 years ago

I've been growing Golden Shadows, aka W. R. Stackman, for about 4 years. It's done OK, but hasn't really lived up to the hype or pictures in the catalogs. I find the color rather harsh even in dappled shade and it tends to be a leggy grower. I much prefer cornus controversa Variegata.
    Reaching general conclusions from only two plants in two different locations is never very reliable, so your experience could well be entirely different.

• victor5
    14 years ago

I have not been impressed with this tree. They tend to burn very easily if too much sun, and absolutely cannot dry out. I have found the Pagoda Dogwood to be much more forgiving and grow very well as an understory tree. They need a high level of compost in the soil and this will hold the moisture better. The sun issue will be site dependent, but I have seen them with leaf burn at nursuries in maine, and the sun here is not as strong as other areas of the country. Not my favorite plant.

• basic
    14 years ago

I managed to kill one. It should've been named 'Wimpy'. My experience pretty much mirrors Victor's, and it seemed unable to handle ANY direct sun. The species is so nice I opted not to bother planting another.

• carrie4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What about a Korean Maple? What is a small tree for zone 3-4 that is a favorite? Thanks for your advice!

• basic
    14 years ago

Carrie,

Tell us a little about the site you'd like to put a small tree. How much sun? Drainage? Korean Maple is a nice little tree that has a lot to offer. Mine suffered a little dieback this past winter, but nothing serious. Fall color is very nice. Fairly slow growing for me, which might be a plus for you.

Here's a pic of an Anise Magnolia (m. salicifolia) at the MN arboretum, which I thought was a nice little tree:
    {{gwi:425892}}

• carrie4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The site I would like to put it is on the East side up closer to the house in a large flower bed that butts up to the foundation east side of the house. I will see it right in front of our bay window in the kitchen so I would like something that has some form of interest all year. It will get morning sun and part afternoon until the house shades it in the afternoon and evening. The soil is very rocky with some clay so I thought of digging out quite a bit and adding compost. Any advice or tree ideas? Thanks!

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

Any updates on this plant?

I was looking to put this plant in an eastern exposure (nice little cove by the front entry)...will get 4 hours sun.

Go for it...or keep looking?