Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red bud with yellow leaves

Posted by stuckinthedirt 6b VA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 22:35

I planted an eastern red bud early this spring. It is about 8 feet tall. I put some osmocote in the ground around the root ball when I planted. I watered deeply 1-2x/week, until about a month ago. Then with travel, and forgetting, it has been watered more like once every 1-2 weeks. I have noticed that the leaves are getting yellow (some fully yellow). The veins of the leaves are the same color of the rest of the leaf, not darker. Some leaves look dry, or burnt.

What is the best thing to help my tree? I have started to increase the watering again.

I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red bud with yellow leaves

dig a small hole.. and find out how much water is actually getting into the root zone ...

is the tree properly mulched???

next time skip the fert in the hole ... dont fixate on that now...

insure PROPER water through dormancy ....

it is NOT uncommon .. on transplanted trees to show high signs of stress ... during it first or second summer after transplant .... perhaps just a survival mechanism... reducing leaf count to the truncated root system ... as long as they dont all turn brown and fall off 2 months before they are supposed too ... i would give it high odds of returning.. subject to the pix ... and even early dormancy.. wouldnt be fatal ... with a redbud ...

starting with a smaller tree .... would probably have avoided this... they just adapt faster on the root to leaf ratio ....

good luck

ken

o
RE: Red bud with yellow leaves

I have had a redbud for a number of years (in DC). Its leaves tended to yellow in late summer, especially if it is dry (I watered it regularly for the first few years, but less so once established). It's come back healthy the next year with flowers/buds. In other words, I wouldn't worry too much.

(Dunno how your weather has been, but in DC we've received almost no rain in the last month, other than a couple of sporadic downpours)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here