Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panoply76

Help with Sassafras Tree Seeds

Panoply76
9 years ago

I recently bought 10 Sassafras tree seeds to further enhance my butterfly garden. I bought them on ebay and the directions sent with them are incomprehensible to me. I cannot seem to contact the vender who sold them to me for further help, so thought I'd ask y'all.

The instructions sent, in their entirety, are:
scarify : soak in water 24 hours. Stratify:Cold 120 days, 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Sow .5 inches. Keep warm and moist (not wet).

That's it word for word. I looked up scarify but am reluctant to cut the seeds until I know EXACTLY what I'm doing. After the word stratify, I am completely confused.

I very much appreciate your taking the time to read this and hope you can give me instruction to pull this off. I've 10 seeds and only need 2 to make it - even one wouldn't be bad.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

This is just to tide you over till you get an answer from a really knowledgeable person.

Sometimes instead of scarifying by cutting or abrading the seeds (which makes it easier for the root to break through the seed coat), soaking in water will soften the seed coat enough that the root can break through.

That said, I don't know what temperature water should be used in this case. I gather that the soaking should occur first, but then the seeds should be kept from drying out during the stratification; how best to do that, I don't know.

Stratification is a cold treatment which tricks the seed into thinking it's been through winter. After the correct length of time at the correct temperature of "winter," the seed is programmed to sprout (i.e. spring is about to occur, and the new seedling will have the warm weather it needs). Your refrigerator is probably about 40* F. A bit under 40* probably wouldn't matter.

Good luck!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what about just putting them outside in mother earth for winter .. and letting here take care of it ...??? .. either a pot outside or in the soil????

have you never grown a tree from seed??? ...

please review the link ... and perhaps we can clarify some of the specifics for you ...

ken

ps: the directions are rather specific.. and have all the info you need ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Panoply76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to both MissinghteObvious and Ken.

The links you sent me were very helpful, Ken.

I have some questions. It appears the seeds need to have a dormant period of 120 days where they are kept quite cold but not freezing (40 degrees or so) in order to grow. Were I to simulate this by putting them in the refrigerator (with a damp paper towel and a bit of peat moss, as instructed) now it would mean that I would be planting them in December. That sounds like a non-starter to me. Can the seeds as I have them now be stored as is for several months so that I might begin their 120 days at a better time? I could, as Ken suggests, plant them in pots now but even in south Louisiana we get down to freezing a few days each winter. What effect would this have on the seeds? Could/should I simply take them inside on the days where it dips signifigantly below 40 degrees?

About scarification. I can't seem to find a consensus among the links Ken provided as to whether this should be done. Most don't mention it at all.

The instruction for soaking them for 24 hours that came with the seeds is nowhere mentioned.

And no, I have never grown a tree from seeds before.

Thank you and I look forward to your input.
    Pano