Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving a young black walnut tree

Posted by franktank232 z5 WI (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 20, 09 at 22:56

I have plenty of experience moving trees, planting trees, but was wondering if moving this currently 6ft tall black walnut that is a foot away from my garage (it grew from squirrel planted walnut a couple years back) to another location is worthwhile or if i should just cut it down? I'm guessing there is a large taproot? I could wait until early spring (early April) to do it. Has to go.

Thanks for any thoughts. Every spring it seems i have 10 or so walnuts sprouting in my yard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving a young black walnut tree

in my z5 .. move trees/conifers in october or april ...

i tend to like october ... and this MAY BE z5 specific ...

as it allows TWO COOL SEASONS before the heat of next summer ...

as soon as the leaves on the trees.. all trees .. in the neighborhood start to turn to their fall colors... all are dormant above...

but you will have near 2 months for root regeneration.. before the ground freezes... then all next spring before it leafs out.. and then another month or two.. before the heat of summer ...

i would bare root it..

ken

o

I'd just cut it down. Since you have others sprouting every year, pick a young one and site it where you'd like it. They grow pretty fast.

tj

o

My advice is along the same lines: don't expend too much energy because you'll get more, and plant a nut where you want it if moving fails. And get a nut from a tree that you admire and find attractive, and maybe has a bit more interesting fall color...

Dan

o

I tried a 6 footer last fall and it died. And I got a lot of root!
To be honest, I would definitely try it again. I can't stand waiting for seedlings. Especially if you are waiting on it to bear nuts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here