Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaning Pistache

Posted by 24681534 Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 22:58

My chinese pistache is leaning and I am not sure if I need to prune it or just let it be. I have another that is great. Any advice would be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaning Pistache

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 13:22

Probably root-bound, as this is very common - growers not keeping stock potted on with adequate frequency. So there is nothing to do except rig up a permanent support, if that appears to become necessary. I definitely would not reduce the top, that will not help the tree at all. In fact, root growth is supported by food made by the leaves.

o

either accept it for what it is...

or get rid of it...

but you are NOT going to pull it back..

and who wants scaffolding out in front of the house ...

you... MIGHT.. trim off the right most branch... to favor the center one ... and start training it to the center straighter leader ...

would be easier to tell when its leafless...

bottom line.. it looks like a magnificent house.... i am having an issue with a carpy $50 tree.. messing up the view .... perhaps prune once..see what happens.. but start growing that seed in the back of your head.. that you CAN DO SO MUCH BETTER.... what is this thing saying about you and your castle????

ken

o

I would check to see if the tree is girdled at the base and not choking itself.(sometimes a problem with CP trees). Assuming the roots radiate out like a wagon wheel you could crop it once which is sometimes done with Chinese Pistache.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here