Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joncraig_gw

ID this tree please?

JonCraig
10 years ago

I often wonder if you guys get tired of newbies like me posting some pictures and saying, "what's this?" But here I go again. ;-)

In case it helps, the geographic area is south-central Kentucky. Zone 6. At a distance, I thought it was a dead tree with some vine crawling up it. This is not the case. Also, the "twig" (is that the proper term? lol) has these "wings" or extensions sticking out; ie the small branches are more flat than round.

Thanks in advance!

{{gwi:426908}}

{{gwi:426909}}

{{gwi:426910}}

{{gwi:426911}}

Comments (4)

• viburnumvalley
    10 years ago

Howdy, southern neighbor.

Thank you for the varied and clear images - it makes ID so much more straightforward.

That will most likely be an Ulmus alata - Winged Elm.

This is a native tree in Kentucky. We have them populating a number of park properties here in Louisville. Here is an especially "wingy" one in the dormant season in McNeely Lake Park.

• jdo053103
    10 years ago

Yes, winged elm. Have a ton of them here as well.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

IMO they are very ugly in youth but make quite an attractive tree after a couple decades. When they have a peak year for fall color, they are among the most brightly multi colored trees I have seen but this also does not happen very often. Usually they briefly turn a modest yellow then drop the leaves. They are weedy and reproduce everywhere as well.

• JonCraig
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much! You all are the best!