Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Ulmus parvifolia questions

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

Lately I've been admiring an Chinese Elm (Ulmus parvifolia) planted alongside my office building at work. While I've always liked the (REAL) Chinese Elm, I've never planted one.

I am 99% sure it's an 'Allee' because of its shape - from pictures I see, it appears Allee has a more upright-vase, almost wispy form, whereas the other cultivars mostly have a more rounded and less "wild" form.

That brings me to my next question. What are some of the cultivars you've tried and recommend?

Allee is widely available here. Athena is one i also see.

Dynasty is another, supposedly has reddish to orange fall color, but some literature says "in colder areas". Not sure if Maryland qualifies. Perhaps someone here in MD/VA/PA or somewhere similar can tell me if it colors up here or not.

Bosque & Drake are a couple others but I don't know their attributes.

As far as fall color, most Chinese elms I see around here just turn an off-yellow-brown color (pretty late, after mid-Nov) then drop the leaves.

From what I see though, the shape and form of 'Allee' is hard to beat. Also seems it grows a bit larger than others.

Comments (14)

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

My Allee II makes a modest effort to turn yellow-reddish very late in the season. Actually not bad compared to most trees on my lot in a frost hollow. Blooms in autumn. It's quite upright, but lately arching outward a bit more. Fast -- 30+ ft on its ninth season. Very nice tree, but it does need room.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

beng, would you mind posting a pic?

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Alas, whaas, my old digital camera is kaput. I need to get a new one...

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Article on Chinese elm:

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese elm

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What does 'Bosque' look like? Google image search shows it looking almost Zelkova-like at maturity, vs the vase shaped 'Allee'.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Bosque looks nice. Quite upright, but my Allee II looked similar at that size. Recently it's growing outward more, which is desirable for its location and intended use. I have had to trim off a few branches that were arching sideways at eye-height.

Whatever you like, get one. Mine's already shading the west side of the house in the hot, late summer afternoons. And looking out the window now, it's still green between a bare sugar maple & black cherry.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So growth rate is pretty fast, beng?

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

5 to 6 ft shoots every yr, but at the top splay outward, so total height doesn't increase quite that fast. It grows continuously from spring to early fall on the vigorous branches. Added attraction right now is massed seeds along the twigs. Honeybees love the late-summer flowers for their pollen -- never noticed that w/any elms before.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Even though they bloom in fall, they seed enough here that I've had a pull out several seedlings. I figured that's going to be true of many ornamentals. Heck I've had to remove Hemlock and Yew seedlings. There are so many ash and maple seedlings, even > 75' away from any ash or maple, I figured the Chinese elm seedlings will just get "lost in the noise".
    Still if you keep a very neat garden, something to be aware of. I know someone in New Jersey who cut one down because he was tired of the seedlings.

• sam_md
    8 years ago

Here's the flowers of the Chinese Elm, pic taken a couple of days ago. As mentioned earlier volunteer seedlings can be a problem. The owner told me that he plans to remove this tree for that very reason.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

There are Ulmus parvifolia where I work, zone 5b. They had a lot of twig dieback after a hard winter this year, and they seem to in general create a lot of seedlings. While the bark is pretty in winter, I don't plan to add this tree to my yard based on those two factors. It might work better in a different setting, but I have enough invasive species without adding one more potential invasive.

• bengz6westmd
    8 years ago

Sam -- mine's flowering. Last yr there was an amazing hum of hundreds & hundreds of honeybees collecting pollen. This yr I haven't heard or seen a single one.

Only one in the area, so never has viable seeds.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It's funny though, since I've posted that, the seed problem I expected still hasn't happened. The tree is much bigger than it was back then, as beng says, they do grow fast. Yes, I do have to pull a couple or so each season. But this is nothing compared to the HUNDREDS of ash or maple seedlings I have to pull or spray with roundup! So maybe my tree is having trouble pollinating itself, or something. I doubt there are many around here, much too fancy a tree for rural Cecil County LOL.

• bengz6westmd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

So, to respond to whass' 2 yr-old request above, after buying a decent digital camera (pic taken last fall).

Its branches are beginning to seriously compete w/the black cherry to the right (out of view). But B cherry is no pushover: