Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottd2104

Sugar maple decline

scottd2104
9 years ago

We have this 6 year old sugar maple that over the past 2 years has been slowly in decline. Last summer it appeared the south side bottom branches started to wither. I had a master arborist come out and he checked for root girdling and other things. The only thing he mentioned was the root ball may have been planted too deep. Late last summer the visual decline started to appear on the east side, but still lower branches. Now, this summer, the north side is showing decline as well. Not sure what is happening, but at first we thought maybe it was accidentally sprayed with weed killer, but being over a year now, I am not sure if weed killer would still be causing this. It does appear that the canopy of this young tree is more compact than it used to be, and is growing taller at a faster rate than another sugar maple planted at the same time, which was previously growing the same. Any thoughts? I had assumed that the tree was fine this early summer until the north side decline just earlier this week. Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (4)