Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katisu_gw

Tree ID- sort of winding or twisted

katisu
9 years ago

I have no idea what this tree is, but I like it. I've tried Googling to figure it out, but come up with nothing. I don't really know the best way to describe the branches, but you will see what I mean. I'll post a closer view of the branches/leaves in a few minutes.

Thank you!

Comments (19)

• katisu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closer up of branches/leaves.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Does it ever have flowers or fruit? One tree I know which does that thing of going off at right angles to any cut and ending up zigzagging is Medlar. The leaves look a possibility too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Medlar pictures.

• lisanti07028
    9 years ago

My Red Mulberry does that too - branches going every which way. I second floral - any fruit?

• Huggorm
    9 years ago

Medlar isn't very hardy, will it stand zone 5? I don't know what it is, but it does look like some kind of fruit or berry tree

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Can't help you on the hardiness. I've read zone 4 and zone 5. I'm sure someone here can elucidate.

• katisu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if it is fruit-bearing, since we just bought the house about 2 months ago. I do know that is does not appear to currently have fruit. It wouldn't surprise me if it is a fruit tree, since (thanks to you lovely people) I've discovered that we have a pear, a crabapple, and an apple tree.

• katisu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The trunk almost looks slightly twisted, too. You can kind of see it in the first pic.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

Is Medlar fruit any good? Do you need to spray chemicals to stop bugs from eating the fruit? Just wondering, I have seen the tree in mailorder plant newspaper inserts etc. They say it must be really ripe before eating, but will birds etc get them first?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

pokay1 - it depends on individual taste. The flowers are pretty, the autumn colour is gorgeous and the fruit look nice. But I've tried them bletted and jellied - I really am not enamoured. To me they taste like gritty apple sauce that has caught on the bottom of the pan. I keep the tree for its appearance only. Here they have no pests or diseases to speak of. That said I think mine has, after 25 years, got Phytophthora. But until this summer it has been absolutely problem free. The picture shows a Medlar ('Large Russian') branch in November.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    9 years ago

not sure about the identity of the tree in the OP's photos - a better picture of the leaves would help.

• katisu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close-up

• katisu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close-up single leaf

• arbordave (SE MI)
    9 years ago

still not sure on this one, may be some type of crabapple

• katisu
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Update: it's flowering! Cherry? Pear? Plum? Something entirely, wonderfully different?

The flowers look too close together to be medlar (the previous front runner). And mulberry doesn't seem right. But I've not seen either flowering close up, so I could be wrong. I don't *think* it's a dogwood...
  • katisu
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Crabapple seems likely, too.
  • arbordave (SE MI)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

looks like a plum of some kind, not sure what variety.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

I've been thinking Japanese plum (Prunus salicifolia) from the start - and it may be turning out that is the case.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Somehow I missed the leaf pictures last year. All talk of Medlars would have been withdrawn if I'd spotted those photos. The blossom looks Prunussy to me which supports embothrium/bboy's id.