Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Profusion Flowering Crabapple - Help!

Posted by bellily 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 4, 10 at 0:14

Hi,
I was interested in getting a Profusion Flowering Crab. Malus x Profusion. Can anyone give some input (I live in zone 6):
1) The tag states size is 12-15' Tall by 8-10' Wide. Is this the correct size? I read on the internet that the width can really be 15-20' wide.
2) Based on the info above, how big do the roots get? Do these trees have soft roots? I want to plant near a sidewalk (did have a wimpy Bradford Pear that fell down in windstorm).
3) If the birds don't get all the fruits, do they fall off the tree? And make a mess on the ground?

Thanks for your help! Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Profusion Flowering Crabapple - Help!

1) Depends on growing conditions. Tag sizes are average. Good stock will get larger.
2) Depends on growing conditions. Maybe half again the crown spread. They are pretty good around pavement.
3) Yes. Yes.

Dan

o

in my z5 ... the fruit hangs on thru late winter .... and then the desperate birds eat a vast majority of them ...

ken

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 4, 10 at 13:35

Not the most disease-resistant crabapple, you might want to try another instead. Except for narrower forms, such as fastigiate cultivars and a small number of naturally erect-growing species many kinds of trees often produce spreading specimens as wider or wider than tall when grown in the open, without crowding by other trees close by. Most kinds of crabapples, including 'Profusion' produce a spreading, even arching crown in time.

o

Thanks everyone for posting.

Is this tree available in a no fruit variety? Home Depot sells these trees with the same name (Malus x Profusion) with two different tags - one has flowers and fruit and one only has flowers. The tags are from the same nursery. I also called a local nursery and they verified the ones they sell do not have fruit! Does this make sense?
Thanks again for your help. Chris

o

Does this make sense?

They are lying to you. Malus genus is monoecious.

Dan

o

Agreed. Perhaps whomever answered the phone was thinking in terms of edible fruit vs. ornamental fruit or persistant fruiting. The only sterile crab I know of is Spring Snow.

o

Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 20:43

HD is not the place to go for reliable and consistent labeling of trees and shrubs.

o

Thanks everyone for the help. I will pass on this tree. I was under the assumption that this would get fruit, but wanted to verify. I may try the Spring Snow or Redbud.

Thanks again for your input. For a beginner, this board is a great resource as tags and even nurseries can't always be relied on. Chris

o

Mon, Sep 6, 10 at 22:34

HD is not a nursery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here