Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Another oak tree question

This young oak tree has almost all branches on one side. It has been growing very close to old pine trees and obviously reaching for some light.
Would it grow some branches on the side that was shaded - lots of branches on the pines have been trimmed off after being broken in winter storm (Dec.2013)
I am not sure about age of the tree (I am new to this property), probably grew from acorn 'planted' by the squirrels.
TIA.
Rina

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

not a great pic ...

and i am not sure what the question is ...

a tree grows.. as a tree wants to grow.. the impact of the pine pruning .. is left to the mysteries of ma nature ...

there is not much you can do.. to encourage branching on that side.. IMHO ...

looks like some kind of vine on it.. hope that has been killed ...

ken

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Thinning the pine trees will put more light on that side of the oak and it will branch more.

Will pruning the opposite side help? I BELIEVE (not know for sure but I think) pruning the opposite side will encourage faster growth from someplace in the short term and if you have left tiny branches on the shaded side it woukd be them.

It is a good experiment anyways.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slightly better photo; there are practically no branches on one side. Unfortunately, few that were there were broken when the broken pine limbs were taken care of.
    The tree is slightly 'crooked', trunks first 7 or so feet are straight, but then it started looking for light. Not sure if it's worth saving. It is about 15feet tall, maybe bit more.And there isn't anything growing up the tree (vine or othervise).

As toronado suggested, maybe interesting experiment...some pruning and maybe even notching?
    Rina

• tanowicki
    9 years ago

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Many oaks go through a gangly stage. I have one that looks slightly older and it's only starting to become oak-like.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Rina, I am unfamiliar with notching. What is the theory there?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

toronado,
    I remember reading somewhere (have to look if I saved the article) that if you notch just above the dormant bud, it will encourage it to grow into a shoot.
    If you nick just below the bud, it will weaken it or prevents it from developing a shoot...hope I am not confusing it & I believe it is used in bonsai. So I was thinking there is no harm in trying on a large tree, and it (the tree) will have also added benefit of drastically changed growing conditions (in this case, space available where there wasn't before - obstructed by pine branches - and considerably more light/sun.

Correct me if I am wrong.
    Rina

ps: removing a small wedge of bark below a bud is referred as nicking;
    remowing a wedge of bark above bud is referred as notching.

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 20:48

• eibren
    9 years ago

Really examine the trunk bark close up.

Is it possible that bare side could have partial girdling or other damage?

If so, be careful not to remove too much good wood, as it will delay recovery from any past injury.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

eibren
    I am not sure what you mean exactly.
    I am not planning on removing any good wood. There are few very thin branches that were broken, you can see them in photo 'hanging' down (I think there is six of them) - these need to be pruned off. They are on side that was shaded & cluttered by pine tree branches.
    There isn't any girdling or bark damage otherwise.

With nicking or notching, only small amount of bark is removed (not like air layering where bark is removed all around).

Rina