Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsqx_gw

Help with Hakuro-Nishiki� Dappled Willow.

Dsqx
10 years ago

Hi, first off I'd like to say hello to the Gardenweb community. Long time lurker first time poster here :)

I have a question regarding the Hakuro-Nishiki Dappled Willow. This is my first time not buying large well established trees/plants in ready to plant in ground condition. I recently bought (4) Dappled Willows that will soon be here. Doing some research I seen that this specific type of plant can be trained into a tree form. This is the only reason I decided to buy these, to try and grow these into trees. Before I go and kill these plants I thought I'd come here and ask a few questions about these Dappled Willows.

Here are my questions..

1. In regards to tree form. How would I go into doing so? Do I just remove all the branches and keep 1 straight long stem and tie it to the side of a long bamboo stick as it grows upwards?

2. How do I promote upward growth when pruning. Off the side suckers and branches? I hear you just remove about a.inch from the tip of trunk....is that correct?

3. I plan on growing these inside in a large pot. I bought 4 of these pots from Menards. They are the ones with the water supply system at the base of the pot that you refill when dry. My question here is..can I grow these inside my house? Winter is coming ( GoT :) ) and I would really like these to be a decent height for spring or will the tree go dormant regardless if I plant inside or out?

Any help will he very much appreciated. Thanks

Edit: Sorry for those wierd symbols..not sure how that happened.

This post was edited by Dsqx on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 1:42

Comments (9)