Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Wild Magnolia Sieboldii Forest found in Zu Mountain

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

The location is Zu Mountain, Hebei Province, China. It is zone 6. The species or sub-species is listed as Vulnerable.

{{gwi:428275}}

{{gwi:428277}}

{{gwi:428279}}

{{gwi:428281}}

{{gwi:428283}}

{{gwi:428284}}

{{gwi:428286}}

{{gwi:428287}}

{{gwi:428288}}

{{gwi:428289}}

{{gwi:428290}}

{{gwi:428291}}

{{gwi:428293}}

{{gwi:428295}}

{{gwi:428297}}

This post was edited by jujujojo on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 11:35

Comments (32)

• botann
    10 years ago

They are very beautiful trees when flowering.
    I like the rocky mountains too.
    Thanks for posting.
    Mike

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:428301}}

{{gwi:428302}}

{{gwi:428303}}

{{gwi:428304}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 20:15

Thanks bottan, I assume they grow well at your place.

• basic
    10 years ago

Great pictures! I planted a small seedling three years ago that perished. I'm not sure what did it in, but it immediately went into a funk after planting and I moved it the next spring. It continued to sulk and died a slow death. I got another one this summer and planted in a more protected/shaded site, but this will be my last try (famous last words). They're marginally hardy here, but I'm optimistic this one will stay put. :)

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by basic Z4a (My Page) on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 11:59

How interesting? It seems yours did not survive well.

Could we ask those who have success to share their experience?

I know it is claimed that these can thrive on not just acid but neutral and alkaline soil. They prefer organic matters. They need moist retention but quickly draining soil. They can handle shade or partial shade. They naturally grow in sheltered areas, such as a valley, against a large rock, etc.

It is also said that they thrived wonderfully in a zone-4/5 botanical garden in Finland.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by basic Z4a (My Page) on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 11:59

Have you put yours in? I need to buy one too. I am in Zone 6b.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

May I invite Smivies to come here and comment on his experience?

• jqpublic
    10 years ago

Great pic! It looks like a whole grove of them things

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smivies come at odd time only.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello smivies?

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Thanks, it is always great to see plants in the native habitats.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smivies, you might have missed this post. If you have no experience or missed it on purpose, then no problem.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by basic Z4a (My Page) on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 11:59

How is yours doing?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by basic Z4a (My Page) on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 11:59

Do you keep yours indoors?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the park last October (October 2013):

{{gwi:428305}}

{{gwi:428307}}

{{gwi:428309}}

{{gwi:428310}}

{{gwi:428312}}

{{gwi:428314}}
    {{gwi:428315}}

{{gwi:428316}}

{{gwi:428317}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

basic(Z4a) , do you grow these?

• maackia
    9 years ago

Juju, are you referring to M. Sieboldii? I've got mine growing in a narrow strip between a garage (east) and large spruce trees to the west and north. It gets 3-4 hours of direct sun and another 1-2 hours of part or filtered sun. It's still very small, but survived the winter of 2013-'14, which was nasty, and no problems noted from this winter. This is about the most protected site I could find, and it seems to be settling in nicely. I'll submit pics when it flowers. :)

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

maackia , how wonderful. We are looking forward to your pictures!

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Great photos, Juju! Thanks for sharing. BTW, isn't that area slated to be mined for limestone/concrete ingredients? OK, just kidding, but just got done watching a very depressing documentary about the absolutely rapacious pace of natural destruction going on in China and indeed, in all of SE Asia. Not going to be much left.

+oM

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

wisconsitom , I think you will like this documentary. Interestingly, I am not sure if the narrator is American or British ... she sounds somewhere in between to me.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

The narrator is Joely Richardson, member of a dynasty of actors. She is British but went to school in the US for 4 years from 14 - 18. I can't hear any American accent though.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK , thank you so much for the explanation. I think the document is very well done. I only worry if the GPS collar may become too tight after a year or two since Taotao is growing fast.

I think Ms. Richardson did an excellent job in the narrative. I truly can tell that her speaking English is influenced by her US time. Her over all language is British English, but certain pronunciations are Americanized. May be some American posters, like wisconsitom, can comment? I assume wisconsitom would think she speaks US English in the film.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Maybe I better watch that video!

+om

OK-at work so not going to be able to review entire 43 minutes or whatever, but Joely sounds British to me! I'm no linguistician though, and she has a nice and captivating voice. As to content, I'll watch this thing at home tonight. Looks good. thanks for putting this up, jujujujo

+oM

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

wisconsitom , watch the whole thing. She sounds very American in the middle somewhere. Hope you have time to watch it.

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

Sounds like British English to me, certainly not Cockney though!
    I enjoy English TV, especially the comedies and anything with Richard Attenborough. I have tried several times to watch East Enders, but the accent is so different that it's hard to follow. Waught!
    My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison comes to mind.
    Mike

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

miketann, ok, I agree. I remember you are from the US West coast near Seattle. On the US East coast, from Boston, New York to the Carolinas, they have very strong accent too :-)

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

I spent a week in midtown Manhattan once and couldn't find anyone who could give me directions one day to where I wanted to go in a language I could understand. When I asked a man with blond hair, I couldn't understand him either. He only spoke Norwegian.
    I enjoy accents, and when traveling, I always ask fellow tourists where they're from, or better yet, may I guess?
    Not so much into Magnolias, however. Their main fault , in my opinion, is lack of good Fall color. Dull brown when everything else is yellow, red, or orange is a put off. Ruins the whole Fall scene. The leaves of the evergreen magnolias are slow to decay, so that's a point against having them in the garden also. Sure like them in the Spring though.....in someone else's garden. Hey, it's no crime to be selective!
    Mike

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

miketann, actually from your judges, politicians to low level police officers and agents, they all feel the same way. Your feeling is rooted in your culture and religion. This makes minorities in the US stable second class humans. I could not say more because people behave like beasts after their buttons are pushed.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

miketann wisconsitom and floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK , don't you agree that there is a diversity of accents in Britain? Compare the accents heard in the video (on weddings and flowers) below to that of Joely, don't you agree that Joely's narrative is somewhat Americanized, in a good way?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

maackia , have yours any buds now?

• maackia
    8 years ago

No such luck, jujujojo. I just hope it's not as slow as the Yulan.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

maackia, if they regenerate well, how can they be endangered?