Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ash questions

Posted by bsmith717 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 3:14

m pretty sure I have Green Ash (Fraxinus Pennsylvanica) trees in my back yard. I say pretty sure because the serration in the leaves is very subtle and also I have not witnessed these two trees produce seeds/smaras in the 4+ years we have lived here. Could they both be male? Are these in fact green ash trees and what could I look at perhaps that might shed light on the cultivar?

Front of leaves

photo 064_zps91143a71.jpg

photo 060_zpsd7170ccc.jpg

photo 057_zps66c8b6ab.jpg

photo 059_zps6476c23c.jpg

Slight serration

photo 067_zpsa02e0776.png

photo 065_zps6d6c1928.jpg

Back of leaves

photo 066_zps84ee7466.jpg

Also the crotches have "mounding/ridging/bark accumulation" (not sure of the term) in them and I have not been found pictures of this online anywhere. Not like people are snapping pics of Ash crotch on a regular basis I guess! I find not only the bark but this crotch growth quite unique and have grown very fond of these trees and the aesthetic impact they provide. Is the crotchal activity normal and what is it called?

photo IMG_5690_zps1a538ad0.jpg

photo 062_zpse64b0e5b.jpg

photo 063_zps8458f89c.jpg

Day time shot

photo 054_zpse60f9d9d.jpg

Back story is that they were planted by the home building contractor that constructed my neighborhood. My home is ~22 years old so I assume these Ash trees are roughly that age as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ash questions

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 3:58

I'm thinking Fraxinus americana, check that one and see if it fits.

Those are some pretty sexy crotch shots. Maybe you should have put some bikini bottoms on them first.

o

That would be good but heres what I thought was funny!

photo 6fce07d7-0e4d-4f51-a5e1-5387ab0a7f6e_zpse162c52f.jpg

But being serious now, I think your right. The reason I thought it was a Green ash was because thats what an Arborist told me, whoops!

The leaves dont have wing tips at the base, and after watching a video about White Ash ID, I found that Whites have U shaped leaf scars and Greens generally have D shaped leaf scars.

I'm thinkin these look like U's.

photo 075_zps3b729c79.jpg

photo 073_zpsf64b2908.jpg

photo 070_zps3ac6ea92.jpg

photo 069_zps2bca5d0c.jpg

o

Heres a good link showing the leaf scar difference between the two.

Now for sure im thinking its White.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/trees/fraxinus_americana.html

o

Anyone second the White Ash ID from the leaf scars or if the crotch growth/collars are normal or perhaps a sign of something bad?

o

"I'm thinking Fraxinus americana"

ditto

o

You will know by the fall color if you can't determine by leaf scars or trunk appearance. Green ash turn a nondescript yellow and drop very quickly. White ash have a redder and much more attractive fall color.

o

As for the collars, don't know if it's bad or not, but I have a couple ashes I let grow from stump sprouts that are growing rapidly and producing crotches that look just like the ones in your pic. Mine are green ash, though.

IME, ash trees are prone to splitting and losing limbs in thunderstorms. Quite possibly, this is related to crotches that began like the ones in your picture but I certainly do not know for sure

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here